James A. Barker, Jr. counsels clients on health care information technology and the business and legal issues of a health information company. He represents hospitals and other health care clients in information systems transactions, including hosting, outsourcing and acquisition of software.
Jay advises clients on both the business and legal aspects of health information technology to help protect them against the risk of system, software, or service failure. He also serves as outside counsel to a company that owns and operates a major database on patients with various diseases, helping to address health care data issues and the needs of a small, growing company.
As a former journalist, Jay also advises news organizations on libel and other First Amendment issues.
With more than 25 years in health law, Jay’s experience includes:
- Negotiating numerous software, IT outsourcing and hosting and related agreements for hospitals and health-related organizations.
- Serving as principal outside counsel for health data company.
- Providing libel and related advice and litigation since 1986.
- District of Columbia
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1985
- Brown University, A.B., 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association, Health, Business, and Intellectual Property Sections