Stephen C. Baker is a nationally known litigator who represents major insurance company groups in business litigation, regulatory, coverage and claims matters. His insurance practice is wide ranging and includes reinsurance, broker and agency issues, direct commercial litigation, workers' compensation, and insolvency and rehabilitation proceedings.
Steve is also national counsel for secondary market issues for several life carriers and a BGA. In his secondary market work, Steve advises insurers on exposures stemming from viaticals, life settlements, non-recourse premium financing and stranger-originated life insurance (STOLI) transactions.
Steve is known for client-driven, innovative service. Some of the service initiatives he has developed include a fixed-fee second opinion for serious cases, money-back guarantees on certain results and creating a client profit center for a carrier out of a complex of environmental claims. He also assists clients in resolving complex legal issues in marketing, underwriting and administering high face value life insurance policies.
Steve provides counsel, analyzes claims, and defends litigation nationally for several life insurers. Representative matters include:
- Representation of a group of insurers in defending a New Jersey action raising a constitutional challenge to an insurance-related statute. The case was dismissed.
- Prepared successful petition for certiorari and brief on merits in the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case of Piper Aircraft Co. v. Reyno, 454 U.S. 235 (1981).
In addition to his national profile as an insurance litigator, Steve has substantial experience litigating and trying other types of complex commercial litigation, including:
- More than 50 pieces of retail securities litigation—before state courts, federal courts, FINRA, NASD, AAA and NYSE.
- An occupational injury mass tort case in the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County that was, at the time, the longest trial in Philadelphia history. Steve’s client was the only party to leave the courtroom without owing money to the plaintiff.
- General aviation accident cases.
Client Service All Stars, BTI Consulting Group (2015)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Department leader Stephen Baker is held in high regard for his ‘incredibly strong’ presence in the life and health space as part of a broad insurance and reinsurance practice. Clients say ‘He knows the people and the industry, and understands all the issues. He is the dean of the life insurance Bar.’Chambers USA
BTI Consulting Group, Client Service All Stars (2015)
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 1980
- Duke University, A.B., 1975, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- American Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association