Katherine E. Armstrong brings to Drinker Biddle more than 30 years of consumer protection experience from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). She draws upon this vast experience to help clients comply with U.S. federal and state privacy and data security laws, and more recently the GDPR. She also advises clients on advertising and marketing issues and other matters regulated by the FTC. Katherine co-leads Drinker Biddle’s Information Privacy, Security and Governance initiative and serves on the Editorial Board of the DBR on Data blog.
While at the FTC, Katherine was engaged in policy work associated with data broker and big data issues. She led numerous Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) law enforcement investigations that resulted in consent decrees, and oversaw a number of FCRA rulemakings. During her tenure at the FTC, Katherine served as an attorney to former Chairman Janet Steiger and Commissioner Sheila Anthony, which involved advising on the full range of consumer protection issues, including those involving privacy and unfair or deceptive acts or practices.
As a member of the firm’s Consortia Management Team, Katherine works on the formation, management and representation of life sciences consortia that address matters of privacy, policy, law and business operations. Katherine assists in the creation of appropriate collaboration mechanisms and provides legal support for the day-to-day activities of these organizations.
Katherine is a frequent speaker before industry conferences and other groups on privacy, data security, big data and FTC matters. She is a member of the Better Business Bureau’s EU Privacy Shield Dispute Resolution Procedures Data Privacy Board and vice chair of the American Bar Association’s Privacy and Information Security Committee.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- District of Columbia
- Lewis & Clark Law School, J.D.
- Pitzer College, B.A.
- Council of Better Business Bureaus, BBB EU Privacy Shield Dispute Resolution Procedure, Data Privacy Board (2017)
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, Privacy and Information Security Committee, Co-Chair (2018-2021), Vice Chair (2016–2017)
- American Bar Association, Consumer Financial Services Committee, Federal and State Trade Practices Subcommittee, Chair (2015–2016); Vice-Chair (2011–2014)
- Episcopal Diocese of Virginia, Annual Council, Parish Delegate
- The Madeira School, McLean, VA, Board Member (2008–2016)