Chicago partner Dan Collins was part of a Practising Law Institute (PLI) panel on “Internal Investigations 2018” on June 6.
From commencement to conclusion, lawyers face numerous issues when conducting internal investigations. Allegations by a whistleblower, ethical dilemmas, and managing the costs of an investigation are just some of the challenges that may arise. Companies and their counsel must anticipate risks and quickly resolve all issues that arise before, during and after the investigation.
Dan and his fellow panelists reviewed the fundamentals of conducting an effective and efficient investigation using a real-world hypothetical with a graphic novel illustration to bring the story to life. Discussion covered:
- Determining the nature and scope of the investigation.
- Addressing document retention and data privacy issues.
- Managing labor and employment law issues.
- Protecting the attorney-client privilege and work product.
- Understanding the government’s use, evaluation and weighing of internal investigations.