Our team is well-known for handling sophisticated real estate transactions throughout the United States. Whether real estate is their primary business or an important asset, clients turn to our highly experienced team to handle real estate acquisitions, dispositions, investments, financing, development and leasing matters, as well as to handle disputes that may arise in the course of such transactions. With more than 40 lawyers across the country, our Real Estate team possesses the breadth to handle projects of any scale or complexity, as well as the depth of location-specific experience necessary for success in several key U.S. real estate markets.
Our experienced attorneys understand the business and legal issues involved with owning or operating real estate and are able to provide cost-efficient representation to achieve our clients’ goals. We offer a one-stop shop to real estate investors for structuring commercial real estate projects involving complex, interdisciplinary issues ranging, for example, from risk of environmental claims, to compliance with corporate, securities and other regulatory laws, to minimization of tax liability. Clients also benefit from our advice with respect to the monetization of noncore real estate assets, including sales and leasebacks and other financial strategies. We handle due diligence review and inventory of real estate assets in mergers and acquisitions as well as advise our clients on structures for management of real estate assets.
Many of our real estate lawyers are recognized as leaders in the real estate legal and business communities and are often consulted as “lawyer’s lawyers.” Our team consists of members of legal and industry groups including the International Council of Shopping Centers, Urban Land Institute, CREW Network, National Association of Industrial and Office Properties and the National Association of College and University Attorneys. Our lawyers frequently serve as members of faculty and lecturers at seminars and educational institutions. Four of our partners are members of the prestigious American College of Real Estate Lawyers.
Some of the recent successful outcomes that we have obtained for our clients include:
- Represented a lender in connection with a $127,000,000 mortgage loan secured by 12 properties in nine states to a real estate fund controlled by a worldwide developer of distribution facilities.
- Represented a real estate development company in the negotiation of a joint venture for the $58 million acquisition and future development of a land parcel, which required the negotiation of complex provisions for the funding of pre-development expenses and elections to pursue the development of each phase of the project.
- Served as primary counsel to a multinational clothing corporation and its affiliated brands in matters related to the international roll‐out of their retail stores, now numbering in the hundreds. We also handled the acquisition, leasing and construction of their world headquarters in Philadelphia.
- Regularly handled significant lease transactions for a major Northeastern developer, including several significant build-to-suit lease transactions in both New York and New Jersey that covered nearly 1,000,000 square feet of warehouse, office and mixed use space.
- Represented a developer in connection with the ground leasing, development and construction of two residential apartment buildings, consisting of more than 350 units, which will be part of New Jersey City University’s redevelopment of more than 100 acres of land. This transaction involves a public-private partnership which was reviewed and approved by the New Jersey Economic Development Authority.
- Obtained development approvals for a 156,000-square-foot expansion of an existing 460,000-square-foot automotive warehouse/distribution/office facility in New Jersey, and obtained further approvals for a future 626,000-square-foot expansion. This brings the total project size to some 1,242,000 square feet, making it one of the largest distribution centers in the Northeast region.
- Worked with a publicly-traded real estate investment trust in connection with acquisitions, dispositions, financing and leasing of the company’s portfolio of retail shopping centers, and handled the company’s related real estate issues including REAs, covenants, title and signage.
Ranked Band 1 for Real Estate in New JerseyChambers USA
Ranked Band 2 for Real Estate in PennsylvaniaChambers USA