We represent public officials, as well as organizations and their employees, in connection with matters involving allegations of bribery, the receipt of unlawful gratuities, campaign finance violations, lobbying irregularities and Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) violations.
We routinely perform internal investigations and handle other sensitive matters, including investigations against public officials and their associates. We use our extensive prior government and defense experience in public corruption cases to obtain non-prosecution results. However, if a client is charged, we have the ability and experience to go to trial and a history of obtaining positive results.
Our team includes seven former Assistant United States Attorneys, two former senior United States Department of Justice officials, a former Counselor to the Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service, a former Assistant Director at the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Division of Enforcement, a former Senior Trial Counsel at the SEC, a former Organized Crime and Racketeering Strike Force Prosecutor, and former state prosecutors.
We successfully defend clients in a wide range of investigations and litigation. Among our representative matters:
- Represented a charter school founder at trial on fraud and obstruction of justice charges, obtaining acquittals on several counts and a deadlocked jury on the remaining charges. The government subsequently dismissed all charges against our client. United States v. Brown, et al. (E.D. Pa.)
- Obtained a full acquittal for a Pennsylvania magisterial district judge in U.S. v. Sullivan, et al. (E.D. Pa.). The indictment came on the heels of a three-year FBI investigation into Philadelphia Traffic Court for alleged ticket-fixing involving judges, administrators and city politicians. After the two-month trial, our client was acquitted of all charges, which included wire fraud, mail fraud, and conspiracy to commit wire fraud and mail fraud.
- Represented the co-defendant of a sitting U.S. Congressman in a six-week jury trial on RICO and corruption charges.
- Retained by the City of Chicago to conduct a due diligence review of the activities of former comptroller Amer Ahmad following his indictment on public corruption charges.
- Obtained declination of prosecution for an executive of a public relations firm following DOJ and congressional investigations of the lobbying activities of Jack Abramoff.
- Represented U.S. Marshals Service officials in Senate Judiciary Committee and DOJ investigations of alleged perjury and false statements. No criminal charges were brought against our clients.
- Obtained declination of prosecution for an attorney in an investigation of alleged illegal campaign contributions.