Our team serves a wide range of national and multinational financial services businesses with sophisticated legal advice that provides the most up-to-date counsel on investment management issues.
We have a diverse client base and highly experienced interdisciplinary professionals including tax, employee benefits, corporate, securities and litigation lawyers who have deep experience in addressing the most complex investment management matters.
We advise national and multinational financial services businesses on federal and state regulatory compliance, business formation, board governance, transactions, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, distribution matters, enforcement and litigation proceedings, registration, documentation and agreements, operational issues and product design and creation, among other issues.
Our clients include investment companies, independent directors, investment advisers, hedge funds (offshore and domestic), commodity futures funds (offshore and domestic), commodity trading advisors, commodity pool operators, broker-dealers, private equity funds, insurance companies and variable products and key service providers to the investment management industry.
With a national reputation for forward-looking, strategic solutions to complex issues, we help clients get ahead of and respond to the high-stakes and evolving legal and regulatory matters affecting their business.
Our representation covers diverse areas of the investment industry with a focus on investment companies, private funds and alternative products, commodity and derivative financial products, investment advisers and broker-dealers.
We have a strong record of innovation and involvement with novel investment management developments and products spanning four decades. They include:
- Organization of closed-end alternative strategy funds, including fund of funds and liquid alternative funds
- Registration of active and passive exchange-traded funds
- Formation of a managed futures investment companies with various sub-advisers
- Attainment of a seminal no-action letter allowing a fund to hire commodity trading advisors that are not SEC-registered investment advisers pursuant to a manager of manager order
- Implementation and organization of a novel turnkey solution offering alternative strategy managers the opportunity to broaden their distribution in a cost-effective manner via a closed-end investment company complex
- Historical "firsts" such as registration of the first Community Reinvestment Act mutual fund for banks, registration and organization of the first bank-advised mutual fund serving as the underlying investment vehicle for variable annuity products, creation of the first institutional money market and tax-exempt money market funds, and development of an approach which has saved clients substantial SEC registration fees in connection with mutual fund reorganizations.
Ranked as one of the top registered fund/mutual fund practices in the country by Chambers USA.
Their asset management practice is top-notch and provides sound solutions. The partners are responsive as well as insightful.Chambers USA, quoting a Drinker Biddle client
- Commodity and Derivative Financial Products
- Corporate and Securities
- Corporate Tax
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Best Interest Compliance
- Financial Services ERISA
- Investment Advisers
- Investment Companies
- Private Funds and Alternative Products
- Securities and Corporate Governance Litigation