Our well-established international practice spans the globe and advises U.S. companies on their overseas operations and foreign companies investing in the U.S. Our International team has helped hundreds of U.S.-based clients protect their interests in foreign jurisdictions through strategic corporate transactions, sound regulatory counsel and efficient resolution of international disputes. We have significant experience with inbound work, advising multinationals on their operations in the U.S. and providing counsel to foreign clients preparing to enter the U.S. market.
Our international team includes lawyers and professionals who are fluent or conversant in more than 20 foreign languages, who have been educated in law schools abroad and who originally hail from other countries. Our team works routinely to help clients with legal issues in England, Japan, Germany, China, Brazil, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, India and Korea, among dozens of other countries.
We bring our decades of experience in international transactions and business structures and a deep understanding of legal and cultural issues to every engagement. For each client, we organize a team of lawyers who can effectively represent their interests and provide them with counsel necessary to achieve their business and legal goals in every country that is involved.
Our core international services include:
Our core international services include the areas of corporate and securities, customs and international trade, intellectual property, insurance, litigation, labor and employment and privacy and data security.
Corporate and Securities
We have counseled international clients on issues such as incorporation, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, contract negotiations and cross border transactions. We also advise clients on risks associated with doing business in the U.S. and help them secure appropriate risk protections. Our services include:
- Selecting an appropriate corporate structure
- Advising on taxation issues
- Ensuring compliance with governance requirements
- Representing clients in mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs and other transactions
- Advising on banking and accounting regulations
- Obtaining proper insurance coverage to guard against litigation in the U.S.
- Drafting distribution, sales representative and/or franchise agreements
- Representing clients in cross-border corporate transactions , including mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
Customs and International Trade
We work with international clients on import and export counseling and compliance, as well as trade remedies, litigation issues and trade security issues. Our team works with clients to design business processes and procedures that foster compliance and can be integrated into an international trade compliance program. Our services include:
Import Counseling and Compliance
- Advising clients on tariff classification, valuation, origin determinations and marking, duty drawback and Foreign Trade Zones and assessing risk levels.
- Representing companies before United States Customs and Border Protection in Focused Assessment audits, prior disclosures and verifications, enforcement proceedings, and requests for binding rulings and internal advice
- Drafting language within distribution and supply agreements, buying agency contracts and licensing agreements
Export Counseling and Compliance
- Counseling clients on the application of various global economic sanction programs
- Conducting compliance assessments and developing robust compliance programs for clients
- Preparing and submitting commodity jurisdiction determinations and classification requests
Trade Remedies and Litigation
- Representing clients in antidumping matters, scope determinations, short-supply petitions and administrative proceedings
- Litigating before the U.S. Court of International Trade and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Counseling on the Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT), Container Security Initiative, and the World Customs Organization SAFE Framework
- Helping companies participate in C-TPAT, successfully navigating the C-TPAT application process and working with large corporations with multiple importing sites to integrate potentially diverse business practices
Anti-Bribery and Corruption
- Managing anti-corruption risks that arise in the course of cross-border trade activities
We work with multinational clients to develop and implement global data protection programs that fit their operational structures and comply with data protection laws around the world. Our services include:
- Counseling multinational corporations on cross-border data transfer requirements and mechanisms available to enable such transfers, as well as assistance in the implementation of cross-border data transfer strategies.
- Advising clients on how to implement processes for conducting privacy impact assessments.
- Drafting data protection policies and procedures, and data subject notices and consents.
- Assisting clients in the creation of employee training programs on data protection requirements.
Our team works with cross-border clients to protect their copyrights, patents, trade secrets and other branding interests. In an effort to provide our clients with seamless global services, we have established relationships with IP lawyers in jurisdictions throughout the world and also help mine unused assets for revenues through assignment, licensing or disposition worldwide.
- Developing and executing patent protection strategies that support clients’ business goals
- Prosecuting patents and managing global patent portfolios
- Helping clients establish new brands and expand existing trademark assets
- Providing full-service trademark maintenance and watch programs
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Representing clients before federal courts across the country, international trade organizations and administrative bodies
- Litigating disputes involving patents, trademark and trade dress infringement, false advertising, counterfeiting, cybersquatting and unfair competition
- Advising clients on regulations that impact social media and marketing strategies
- Ensuring that websites, advertising claims and promotional materials comply with federal and state requirements
Our team provides insurers, investors and brokers with insurance regulatory, transactional, tax advice and support. Members of the team are resident in the firm’s New York, London, Philadelphia, Chicago and Princeton offices and have decades of experience working with industry participants in the U.S., Europe and Bermuda.
- Working through a variety of regulatory issues, including formation and redomestications, certificate of authority applications and amendments, and extraordinary dividends and distributions
- Advising on product design and approval and advertising review programs
- Representing clients in license suspension and revocation proceedings, delinquency proceedings and restructurings and other administrative proceedings and hearings
- Providing support in statutory accounting matters
- Advising on all types of complex transactions, including mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations, sponsored demutualizations, public offerings and private placements for off-shore reinsurers and joint ventures between insurers and financial institutions.
Onshore and Off-Shore
- Counseling on formation and IPOs of off-shore reinsurance companies, indemnity and assumption reinsurance transactions, captive arrangements, protected cell companies and CAT bond sidebars
Rehabilitation and Insolvency
- Representing troubled insurers, public and private insurance holding companies, reinsurers, counterparties and claimants in insolvency matters and workouts
Labor and Employment
We advise international clients on labor and employment issues that may arise as a result of doing business in the U.S. or overseas. We routinely counsel clients on labor issues and conduct trainings and audits to assure compliance. In addition, our Employee Benefits team has worked with a number of cross-border companies on negotiating, drafting and implementing benefits plans.
Counseling and Training
- Advising foreign-based entities on compliance with relevant employment regulations, including the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act, and standards set forth by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Conducting compliance audits and drafting international policy and procedure manuals
- Fielding day-to-day questions on issues including hiring and employee background issues, discipline and termination, non-competition agreements and trade secrets, whistleblower issues and wage and hour practices
- Negotiating, drafting and implementing benefit plans
- Advising on the employee benefits and executive compensation aspects of corporate transactions, both in the U.S. and overseas
Employment Litigation and Arbitration
- Litigating or arbitrating claims, including class actions, related to discrimination, retaliation, harassment and wrongful termination
- Negotiating favorable resolutions and settlements through early case assessment
We represent clients in commercial litigation, including class actions and multidistrict litigation, and international arbitration before international arbitral bodies in disputes related to cross-border transactions. Our lawyers regularly represent sophisticated businesses in cases involving customers, suppliers, competitors, financings, contracts, corporate transactions, shareholder rights, fiduciary duties, consumer protection laws and fraud.
- Representing clients before international arbitral bodies in disputes related to cross-border transactions
- Advising on the interpretation and application of international arbitration rules and regulations
- Serving as arbitrators in complex domestic and international matters
- Managing and resolving cases, including class actions and multidistrict litigation, involving antitrust, securities, white collar and consumer fraud issues
- Overseeing all phases of pre-trial discovery and counseling clients on e-discovery and records retention
- Defending clients against claims of personal injury and wrongful death as a result of their products
- Counseling on tactics to minimize the risk of litigation
When clients would benefit from local experience in foreign jurisdictions, we can leverage our relationships with a vast global network of law firms. Members of our international team have developed longstanding and trusted relationship with foreign firms who they can call upon, when necessary, for advice on local judicial rules and other matters.
We are able to provide first-class service to clients through our membership into the World Law Group, a network of 52 leading law firms located in 40 countries, with each firm being selected for its excellent reputation, its depth of commitment to international practice and its eagerness to assist other member firms in their international dealings.
Our international team has been heavily involved in the Group since its inception 25 years ago and our lawyers have held many leadership positions including directorships and two appointments as President.