Drinker Biddle’s InsurTech lawyers are a business-minded and multi-disciplined team of professionals. The group has practical experience particular to the converging sectors of technology and insurance, with a depth of understanding of this rapidly evolving space, including on matters of key gating importance such as the 50-state insurance regulatory system, privacy, cyber security, big data ownership, marketing practices, social media and intellectual property.
At Drinker Biddle we have worked with everyone from start-ups to traditional companies looking to partner with/invest in technology companies or develop internal spin-off companies.
Our Insurance Regulatory and Transactional Group is nationally-ranked and well-known to insurance regulators nationwide, as well as leading re/insurers and brokers.
- Regulatory issues relevant to insurers and product offerings: admitted vs. non-admitted/E&S insurance options
- Licensing (individual & business entity) for life, accident & health, property & casualty and E&S, sharing commissions, referrals
- MGA/MGU platforms, program management and TPAs
- Master Policy Group and Association Programs, trusts, strategic alliances and corporate venture
- Regulation of rates & policy forms, “price optimization,” rebating/referral fees, bundling/tying and “free” insurance
- IT and vendor contracts
- Extended warranty/service contract programs – consumer goods/electronic devices, auto and homes
- Social media, advertising and branding
- Contests and sweepstakes
- Big Data, eDiscovery and e-commerce fundamentals
- Social enterprises and “B” corporations
- Intellectual property – patent, copyright and trademark counseling, protection and prosecution
- Corporate formation, M&A
- Reinsurance and fronting, structured insurance & reinsurance transactions, including Insurance Linked Securities
- Virtual Privacy Security Officer (VPSO) for clients without a chief privacy officer
- One of the world’s largest reinsurance groups in M&A and other regulatory and transactional matters in connection with its InsurTech business
- A global specialty insurer on a pay-per-use program for international travel insurance
- A Bot technology company in connection with quoting/selling insurance in an online shopping cart along with the purchase of the product to be insured
- A corporate venture fund of one of the world’s largest life insurers in multiple investments including in technology companies
- An MGA on various regulatory and transactional matters related to online travel insurance, including drafting and negotiating an MGA/TPA agreement and advising on regulatory inquiries
- An early-stage investor in Bot technology for use in online quoting and sales
- A Bermuda-based, global reinsurer in structuring its webenabled ILS portfolio risk origination and aggregation platform
- Pet, jewelry and renters insurance and income annuities start-ups on a variety of regulatory issues, such as online marketing and payment of referral fees\
- P2P and ride sharing companies in various regulatory and legislative matters, particularly in New York
- The wind down and dissolution of a technology company in the ride sharing space
- Numerous insurers and intermediaries in connection with master policy group and association programs for commercial and personal P&C insurance, as well as programs for life insurance and annuities
Drinker Biddle’s entrepreneurial roots and cohesive, collaborative culture are very well-suited for working with start-ups and other InsurTech ventures. We advise our insurance and reinsurance industry clients on discrete and cost-sensitive matters in real-time on a daily basis, and we are rarely faced with an issue that we have not previously encountered. Our practice is nationwide with lawyers in multiple offices. Of the many deals handled by our M&A and private equity teams, many are valued between $50m-$500m.
We also are nimble enough to handle deals valued at less than $50m, having worked on some transactions – early stage enterprises, new product development, including patent protections, and closely held undertakings – valued under $10m, including de novo enterprises in the insurance sector. We work very efficiently in lean teams staffed to fit your needs. Starting with reasonable rates for the comprehensive experience we provide, we work with many of our clients on budgets, cost certainty, alternatives to hourly billing, and other creative approaches to fees.
View a PDF of the InsurTech brochure