We are frequently retained by education institutional stakeholders, including boards of directors, audit committees and general counsel, to conduct confidential and independent internal investigations concerning such diverse matters as employee financial misconduct, alleged Title IX violations, alleged Clery Act violations and suspected grant fraud. In assessing the nature and extent of suspected wrongdoing, we work closely with our clients to help them evaluate the potential impact of the alleged misconduct, make decisions regarding the reporting of any confirmed wrongdoing, and formulate appropriate corrective measures.
We represent educational institutions in matters concerning the Federal False Claims Act, state Attorney General consumer fraud cases, export control prosecutions, environmental enforcement actions, and investigations and prosecutions involving financial frauds. Additionally, because the most effective defense is achieved through avoidance of problems before they occur, we are regularly engaged to design and implement compliance programs and to evaluate and improve existing compliance programs.
A sample of matters includes:
- Successfully defended at trial the former operator of a number of Philadelphia Charter Schools, achieving outright acquittals on six counts and a deadlocked jury on the remaining 54 counts of an indictment alleging financial fraud and obstruction of justice.
- Conducted an independent investigation and Title IX policy review on behalf of a major public university concerning the handling of allegations of sexual misconduct by a faculty member.
- Successfully defended a major university in False Claims Act litigation arising from allegations of research misconduct.
- Represented two universities in investigations conducted by the National Science Foundation concerning the management of federal grant funds.
- Represented a major private university in an internal investigation concerning the handling by university officials of allegations of sexual misconduct and in a subsequent investigation of Clery Act compliance by the Department of Education.
- Assisted a major private university in an internal investigation into a $5.5 million embezzlement scheme by the university’s food services director. This investigation resulted in a full recovery for the university and a successful prosecution of the wrongdoer.