Our established and recognized accreditation practice represents numerous accreditors, including both institutional and programmatic agencies. We assist accrediting agencies in developing and applying their procedures, provide advice on accrediting agency actions, and defend accrediting agency decisions in federal court. We also advise accrediting agencies on compliance with U.S. Department of Education recognition requirements. We assist accrediting agencies on nonprofit corporate governance issues, including the interplay between state nonprofit law and the U.S. Department of Education separate and independent requirements. We also counsel accrediting agencies on corporate governance and restructuring issues.
We have a unique understanding of accreditation and how it works, and the nature and value of peer review itself. We have long-standing relationships with the accreditation community, and are involved in national policy matters impacting accreditation. We assist clients with the following:
- Advise accrediting agencies on application of the procedures in the context of specific accrediting decisions and complaint proceedings.
- Help accrediting agencies develop and draft their standards and procedures.
- Represent accrediting agencies in matters before the U.S. Department of Education, including recognition proceedings.
- Advise accrediting agencies on matters pertaining to compliance with the U.S. Department of Education separate and independent requirements, including agencies that are part of a larger parent association.
- Advise accrediting agencies on governance and corporate structure matters, including assisting with the incorporation of the accrediting agency and drafting of bylaws for the agency.
- Represent accrediting agencies in federal court in litigation brought by institutions or programs challenging an accreditation decision.
- Assist accrediting agencies on nonprofit tax matters.
- Assist accrediting agencies on employee matters and employee matters.