Our environmental lawyers help clients evaluate environmental liabilities that arise during virtually every business, real estate or corporate transaction. We work closely with the firm’s corporate, real estate and corporate finance lawyers to achieve successful outcomes for buyers, sellers, lenders, developers, owners, landlords, tenants and municipalities. Our representation encompasses all phases of real estate and commercial transactions, from air, water and land use permitting, to environmental due diligence, drafting and negotiating representations, indemnities and clean-up agreements and spearheading post-closing environmental activities. We are at the forefront in addressing contaminated water bodies and have counseled clients on remediation of sediment sites.
We facilitate transactions and have assisted clients with large environmental due diligence efforts, including potential environmental liabilities and non-compliance with applicable regulatory programs. Our team has a longstanding reputation as one of the premier federal and state Superfund practices. Our team has handled the investigation and structuring of environmental risks in connection with mergers and acquisitions, leases, purchases/sales of assets and real property transactions. In our experience, if you can identify and quantify potential environmental risks and assets, you can then allocate them in the transaction. Whenever possible, we turn to insurance, brownfields grants and other creative mechanisms to help get the deal done. We have also assisted clients in negotiating renewable energy credit and carbon credit transactions in a number of jurisdictions.
Our environmental transactions experience includes:
- Performed environmental due diligence and addressed regulatory compliance for multibillion-dollar acquisitions involving multiple research and manufacturing sites
- Counseled a telecommunications equipment manufacturer on environmental issues connected with the sale of U.S. and French assets, including permit transfers and documentation of leases, subleases and licenses for post-closing access for environmental remediation
- Negotiated and completed ISRA compliance prior to closing on the sale of a one million square-foot, multitenant manufacturing facility
- Negotiated the sale of an abandoned manufacturing facility to a company that purchases and restores environmentally impaired properties to the commercial market
- Helped numerous clients obtain ISRA Letters of Non-Applicability Approval from NJDEP for various complex corporate reorganizations and transactions, allowing the clients to avoid the costs of ISRA compliance
- Conducted due diligence and negotiation of appropriate contractual provisions in a $400 million acquisition of a multifacility chemical group
- Counseled multinational electronics and battery manufacturing concerns and utilities in the cleanup and disposition of vast industrial real estate portfolios, including the cleanup of former manufactured gas plant sites
- Represented developers in the acquisition and redevelopment of automobile manufacturing facilities across the country
- Advised major municipal governments on implementation strategies to procure Brownfields grant funding and redevelop abandoned industrial sites
- Represented telecommunications companies in evaluating the environmental issues associated with the construction of antenna tower sites across the country