Drinker Biddle’s national M&A practice pairs experience in handling large, sophisticated and multinational transactions with the rate structure and flexibility for smaller transactions. Over the last three years, we helped clients successfully close more than 220 deals with most of our deals falling in the $20 million to $500 million range.
Our M&A team represents directors, executive officers and significant shareholders of public and private companies; corporate acquirers and sellers; and private equity firms and other financial sponsors in complex transactions in a wide range of industries, with particular experience in insurance, manufacturing, industrials, transportation and logistics, communications and media, consumer and retail, health care, life sciences, education, financial services and information technology.
We help clients with stock and asset acquisitions, tender offers, mergers, joint ventures, leveraged buyouts, spinoffs, recapitalizations, structured auctions, roll-ups and other types of transactions. We tailor each deal to your strategic objectives and business goals.
As discussed in the Drinker Biddle M&A Report, most of our deals fall in the $20 million to $500 million range. A selection of our recent M&A transactions includes:
- NBCUniversal and Comcast Ventures in their equity investments in Acorns Grow, a consumer-focused fintech app
- Cott Corporation, a diversified beverage company, in multiple transactions, including:
- The $50 million sale of its Columbus, Georgia bottling plant and its RCI International soft drink concentrate production business to Refresco, a Dutch beverage bottler.
- DS Services of America, Inc., a subsidiary of Cott Corporation and a leading producer and distributer of bottled water and water filtration coolers, in the $80 million acquisition of The Mountain Valley Spring Company, a premium spring and sparkling water bottler.
- S. & D. Coffee & Tea, a subsidiary of Cott Corporation and the largest customer coffee roaster and largest blender of iced teas for food service and convenience stores in the United States, in the acquisition of Wallingford Coffee Mills, Inc.; Wallingford imports, roasts and sells coffee and cappuccino products throughout the United States.
- Striker Partners, the majority owner of Lone Star Urgent Care Managers, LLC, in the sale of all of the membership interests of Lone Star, a pediatric urgent care company based in San Antonio, Texas
- Quaker Chemical Corporation on its combination with Houghton International, a transaction valued at approximately $1.5 billion, comprising cash and Quaker stock; The two Philadelphia-based companies are providers of process fluids, chemical specialties and technical expertise to the global primary metals and metalworking industries
- Inverness Graham Investments in its acquisition of Corsica Technologies, LLC, to launch a new IT services platform, and the subsequent add-on acquisition of EDTS LLC. The combined company is a managed service provider that provides information technology and cybersecurity services, including hardware, networking, systems and other support and consulting services to clients
- Ascensus, Inc., the nation’s largest independent retirement and college savings services provider, in several transactions, including its direct and indirect acquisitions of:
- Retirement Plan Consultants, Inc., a Florida corporation in the business of retirement plan design, consulting and administration services
- Pension Strategies, Inc., and Qualified Plan Strategies, LLC, Arizona-based companies in the business of retirement plan design, consulting and administration
- Wrangle, LLC, a Nevada limited liability company in the business of preparing Form 5500 health and welfare filings and related documents and providing related ERISA-compliance services
- Legrand North America, Inc., a global specialist in electrical and digital building infrastructures, in the direct and indirect acquisitions of:
- Universal Electric Business, LLC f/k/a Universal Electric Corporation, a global leader in the development of flexible, customizable power distribution systems, and manufacturer of the STARLINE and U-S Safety Trolley suites of products
- Kenall Manufacturing Co., the American leader in lighting solutions dedicated to specialized applications and to critical non-residential environments – hospitals, schools, public buildings, food processing, tunnels, correctional facilities and more
- Ansell Healthcare Products, LLC, a health care product designer and manufacturer, in the acquisition of Ringers Technologies Holdings LLC, a glove designer and manufacturer through a Membership Interest Purchase Agreement
- Dover Downs Gaming and Entertainment, the operator of a hotel, casino and harness horse racing track in Dover, Delaware, in its combination with Twin River Casino Hotel; Dover Downs stockholders received Twin Rivers common stock, which was listed on the NYSE as part of the transaction
- Delaware Life Insurance Company in the acquisition of Lackawanna Casualty Company, Lackawanna American Insurance Company and Lackawanna National Insurance Company, each of which is a Pennsylvania domiciled stock insurance company, from Brynfan Associates, L.P. and Pagnotti Enterprises, Inc.
- TRP Capital, a private equity firm focused on the transportation and logistics sector, in the acquisition of Genox Transportation, Inc., and its sister company Genox West Transportation, LLC, Texas based industrial gas transportation companies
"All are hard-working experts in their area, and are timely, responsive and effective."
Sources say the group is "excellent technically and, from a customer service perspective, goes above and beyond."
– CHAMBERS USA (2019)
An Overview of Transactions Advised on by the Firm