With forward-thinking transaction leadership and a practical, hands-on approach to counseling, our Emerging Companies and Venture Capital team delivers unique and valuable service and advice to our high-growth clients.
Our experienced team provides a broad range of legal and advisory services to entrepreneurs, emerging companies, angel investors, venture capital and corporate venture funds and large institutions engaging in collaboration transactions as a means of fostering innovation.
We have represented hundreds of technology-based and high-growth companies across a broad range of industries, including life sciences, information technology, financial services, media, retail and manufacturing.
To help achieve our clients' goals, we leverage our extensive industry knowledge and capabilities in other critical disciplines to provide strategic advice as well as access to sources of capital, deal flow and business development opportunities. We approach all of our client relationships as long-term partnerships, selectively assembling the right team of lawyers to meet the needs of each client and deliver guidance that is efficient and cost-effective.
We provide the full range of services an emerging company will need throughout its life cycle, including:
- Providing business advice and guidance in connection with entity formation, fundraising and venture financing issues
- Developing, acquiring and protecting intellectual property
- Negotiating strategic alliances, joint ventures, licensing arrangements and other critical transactions
- Structuring employee compensation and other arrangements and providing guidance in establishing and maintaining an effective approach to HR and talent management
- Establishing and participating in an effective corporate governance structure
- Structuring and negotiating mergers and acquisitions
- Completing initial public offerings and follow-on offerings
- Building an effective “virtual general counsel” office
We provide the full range of services a venture capital fund will require in connection with executing its investment strategies, including:
- Venture fund formation and strategy development
- Evaluating and structuring initial and follow-on venture investments
- Evaluating intellectual property portfolios of target companies
- Counseling clients on corporate governance relating to portfolio companies
- Structuring and negotiating strategic licensing and other commercial transactions with portfolio companies
- Developing and executing exit strategies of portfolio companies, including portfolio company acquisitions
Learn more about our Corporate Venture practice.
Joint Ventures and Strategic Partnerships
We regularly advise our emerging company and larger institutional clients on joint ventures, strategic partnerships and other transactions focused on collaboration and innovation. These transactions have helped our clients innovate internally and externally, expand into new markets and gain a competitive advantage by deploying new technologies, products and services.
We have represented both investors and the entities themselves in structuring, forming, implementing, governing and winding up of a variety of domestic and international joint ventures and strategic alliances.
Equipped with an understanding of the unique issues that confront these enterprises, and those who invest or participate in them, we work closely with our colleagues in other disciplines such as tax, antitrust and intellectual property. This positions our clients to develop, negotiate and implement the structure, capitalization and governance that suit their particular needs.