Fatema Zanzi counsels health care providers and suppliers on how to achieve their business and service goals within a complex regulatory environment. Her broad practice encompasses all aspects of corporate, transactional and regulatory legal issues facing the health care industry. A significant part of Fatema’s practice involves guiding health systems and hospitals through major strategic transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, affiliations and joint ventures. Fatema has succeeded in leading large deal teams through these complex transactions.
Fatema counsels clients on compliance with various health care regulations, including federal and state fraud and abuse laws, Medicare and Medicaid provider enrollment and reimbursement laws, HIPAA privacy and security laws, and health care provider licensure and scope of practice requirements. She also advises clients on medical staff issues, including medical staff governance, peer review matters and fair hearings and litigation arising from such matters. As more providers and vendors are seeking to provide health care to patients via telehealth, Fatema helps clients navigate the web of laws that impact such delivery of care.
As Vice Chair of Education Programs for the American Health Lawyers Association’s Children’s Hospital Affinity Group, Fatema has a particular interest in advising pediatric providers and stakeholders. Her clients also include health systems, community hospitals, teaching hospitals and academic medical centers, physician group practices, and health industry suppliers.
Prior to joining the firm, Fatema worked with the drafters of the HIPAA privacy regulations at the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Office for Civil Rights, where she assisted in providing compliance education and guidance to the then newly-promulgated HIPAA regulations. Before law school, Fatema was a health care industry consultant with a national advisory firm.
Fatema is the hiring partner for Drinker Biddle’s Chicago office and serves on the firm-wide hiring committee.
Fatema’s representations include:
- Leading significant strategic mergers and affiliations between hospitals and health systems, from multibillion-dollar organizations to small community hospitals.
- Advising on medical staff issues, including medical staff governance, peer review matters, and fair hearings and litigation resulting from such matters.
- Advising health care providers who have been investigated by the Department of Justice and HHS-OIG investigation under the False Claims Act for Medicare and Medicaid regulatory matters.
- Advised a critical access hospital as outside general counsel.
- Advised hospitals and dialysis centers in their sales of dialysis operations to large national dialysis providers.
- Advised newly formed single-specialty groups upon consolidation of multiple medical practices.
- Counseling health care providers and medical device companies on HIPAA Privacy and Security compliance.
- Worked with large health care vendors on compliance with complex federal and state requirements for the provision of medical supplies and durable medical equipment to patients.
- Advised telehealth providers and vendors on compliance with regulations that impact such delivery of care, including state licensure, scope of practice and informed consent requirements.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
American Board of Medical Specialties Research and Education Foundation, Public Member (2015-Present)
- Loyola University Chicago, J.D., 2006, magna cum laude
- Northwestern University, B.A., 2000
- American Board of Medical Specialties, Public Member Research and Education Foundation Board (2015–present)
- American Health Lawyers Association’s Children’s Hospital Affinity Group, Vice-Chair of Education Programs (2014–present)
- Residents for Effective Shelter Transitions (REST), Chicago, IL, Secretary, Board of Directors (2008–2011)
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys (2006–present), Publications Committee (2008)
- Credentialing and Privileging Advisor, HcPro, Inc., Editorial Advisory Board (2008–present)
- National Immigrant Justice Center, Volunteer Attorney
- “Lawyers in the Classroom,” Constitutional Rights Foundation of Chicago, Volunteer
- WITS, Volunteer