Todd C. Schiltz has focused his practice on corporate control, corporate governance, statutory and contractual disputes in the state and federal courts of Delaware for more than 20 years. As co-chair of the Governance & Corporate Law Disputes group, Todd’s practice concentrates on advisory and litigation matters related to Delaware business organizations and their fiduciaries and constituents. Todd is noted for his knowledge of practice in the Delaware Court of Chancery, and he advises boards and board committees regarding litigation, corporate governance, investigational and transactional issues.
Todd’s practice also includes complex business and other civil disputes. He is a skilled advocate who has represented a wide variety of clients, ranging from multinational and publicly traded companies to local Delaware businesses.
Todd has co-authored several articles including "Preston v. Allison: Delaware Courts May Correct Inequitable Election Results in Limited Circumstances;" "Mergers and Acquisitions: An Overview and Update of Delaware Law;" and "Preparation For and Conduct Of Shareholders' Meetings.”
Todd has litigated numerous corporate control, corporate governance, statutory and contractual disputes in state and federal court in Delaware.
Todd’s representations include:
- Obtained summary judgment in Delaware Court of Chancery in favor of our client seeking advancement of his litigation expenses from his former employer. Later, prevailed before the Delaware Supreme Court in arguing the trial court correctly awarded advancement of legal fees and expenses. In so ruling, the Supreme Court also reaffirmed Delaware’s strong public policy in favor of advancement “as an inducement for attracting capable individuals into corporate service.”
- Secured a notable result in the Delaware Chancery Court for Sussex Insurance Company (an Enstar affiliate) in a settlement with the receiver for Freestone Insurance Company, an insolvent insurer in a Delaware state court liquidation proceeding.
- Representation of Sauer-Danfoss in breach of fiduciary duty action arising from a controlling shareholder acquisition proposal.
- Defense of a suit challenging the acquisition of Opinion Research Corporation, Inc.
- Defense of lawsuits challenging the acquisition of Charming Shops, Inc.
- Representation of KPMG, LLP in an action seeking the recovery of $1.1 billion of losses allegedly suffered by creditors of Oceanographia, Inc.
- Representation of AT&T in 13 lawsuits challenging controlling partner asset sale transactions.
- Representation of Immune Design Corporation, a biomedical development company, in a tortious interference with contractual relations and misappropriation of trade secrets action.
- Representation of a special committee of the board of directors in connection with its efforts to acquire a large block of shares held by a dissident shareholder.
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D.
- DePauw University, B.A., cum laude
- American Bar Association
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Delaware Tax Appeals Board