David A. Rubenstein has more than 30 years of experience representing private and public companies in negotiating and consummating scores of acquisitions and dispositions, including mergers, asset and stock acquisitions, and joint ventures. He is involved in transactions across a broad range of regulated and unregulated industries which include a variety of investigatory, tax, accounting and corporate issues.
Dave also advises closely-held businesses on matters relating to formation, operation, dissolution, recapitalization and financings, resolution of shareholder disputes, governance and succession planning. A particular area of focus is the use of limited liability companies. He has drafted and advised on partnership agreements, shareholder buy-sell agreements and limited liability company operating agreements. Dave has assisted public, private and not-for-profit entities with corporate governance issues, including conducting public and private board self-evaluation processes.
Dave is also is a member of the firms Employee Stock Ownership (ESOP) Group and has extensive experience assisting in the corporate aspects of ESOP transactions. In these ESOP deals, Dave represents selling shareholders, trustees, company purchasers and sponsoring corporations.
Dave is also outside counsel to the U.S. operating companies of two Japanese-owned companies and regularly provides general counsel services to private middle-market business concerns.
Dave has been involved in transactions across a broad range of regulated and unregulated industries. His representative matters include:
- Represented U.S. arm of multinational corporation in reorganizing to address world-wide tax and business planning initiative.
- Represented privately held commercial printer in purchase of division of public company.
- Led a disposition program for portfolio companies of a foreign-based bank private equity company which included sale of oil well services business, a circuit board manufacturer and a computer chip manufacturer.
- Led sale of a privately held software design firm (partly ESOP-owned) in cash merger sale.
- Led acquisition and reorganization of specialty ink manufacturing operation with facilities and equity holders in U.S., Italy and the Czech Republic.
- Led a public company disposition program, which included sales of several farm equipment manufacturers, a plastics processor and an oil well services company.
- Represented ESOP trustee in purchase of large hospital venture by ESOP.
- Act as general outside counsel to numerous privately-held companies.
- Led sale of a private company for $170 million by the 85% owner to company-sponsored ESOP.
- Purchase by ESOP sponsored by a government contracting company of all shares from numerous shareholders, followed by restructuring to elect S corporation status.
- Led joint ventures, including farm equipment manufacturers, radio programming providers and dental supply companies.
- Represented numerous family-owned and closely-held businesses in sales to public companies, private companies and private equity funds.
- University of Michigan, J.D., 1983, cum laude
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A., 1980, Phi Beta Kappa
- ESOP Association
- American Israel Chamber of Commerce
- Remke Industries; The INX Group Ltd; Minerallac Company – Director