Michael P. Pulliam focuses on products liability, information governance and electronic discovery, and commercial litigation. Michael also has substantial experience handling environmental litigation and real estate disputes. Michael is a regular contributor to Drinker Biddle’s Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”) Blog, which provides important news and insights concerning the TCPA.
Michael defends products liability claims in both state and federal courts. This includes numerous claims on behalf of one of the nation's largest pharmaceutical companies. He also has extensive experience defending products claims, including medical products and devices, and asbestos. He handles asbestos cases as local counsel. In this capacity, Michael has argued motions for summary judgment and has also argued motions in limine that have resulted in cases being dismissed against his clients. In addition to his local counsel work, Michael also is national counsel for a major laboratory supplier on all aspects of strategy with respect to their national asbestos litigation.
Michael handles complex electronic discovery issues and is experienced in developing cost-efficient plans for implementing electronic discovery plans in complex litigation. He oversees all aspects of electronic discovery: evaluating what should be collected, formulating search terms to efficiently identify responsive documents, creating review protocols setting forth which categories should and should not be produced, and managing large scale document productions. Michael is active in the firm's pro bono activities and previously headed the San Francisco office's Summer Associate Program.
Michael provides counsel, analyzes claims, and defends litigation nationally for several large publicly traded companies. Representative matters include:
- National counsel for a large laboratory supply company.
- Successful defense of chemical company in several cases alleging asbestos exposure that resulted in dismissals as a result of dispositive motions are motions in limine at trial.
- Representation of manufacturer of medical device company in complex case alleging that device had failed during cardiac surgery resulting in fatal stroke. Case was dismissed after motion for summary judgment was filed.
In addition to his experience as a litigator, Michael has substantial knowledge in information governance and electronic discovery. Representative matters include:
- Handling all aspects of electronic discovery in complex mass tort litigation involving document collection, review and production covering millions of documents in more than 1,000 cases.
- Advising clients on the appropriate scope of litigation holds.
- Formulating cost-efficient electronic plans designed to minimize the interference to a client’s business.
Michael has substantial experience litigating and trying other types of complex commercial litigation, including:
- Real estate litigation disputes involving the dissolution of complex real estate partnership.
- Environmental litigation disputes.
- Representation of a small fitness studio in all aspects of their business, including advice on risk management issues.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 2001
- Wesleyan University, B.A., 1996
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Defense Research Institute
- San Francisco Bar Association