Nathan has considerable experience in government affairs and monitoring legislation and regulation in a broad range of domestic and international issues. He counsels clients on legislative and regulatory developments involving patents, trademarks, international trade, copyrights, and privacy. Further, he has drafted numerous legislative impact analyses and has assisted in drafting proposed legislation.
Nathan is the head of the firm’s LGBT Group. Additionally, he is a contributor to DBranding, Drinker Biddle’s trademark and branding blog.
Nathan is an avid musician, who sings lead vocals and plays piano in a solo act and in bands around the D.C. area. Prior to joining Drinker Biddle, Nathan was a legal editor for Bloomberg BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, with more than 400 articles published on intellectual property cases, legislation and congressional hearings.
- Represented shoe designer respondents in International Trade Commission Section 337 Investigation against Converse and Nike, Inc. in trademark dispute.
- Conducted considerable intellectual property apparel and consumer goods clearance work for one of the world’s largest retailers and represented that client in trademark opposition proceedings.
- Represented a retail energy supplier in rebranding efforts and expanding its IP portfolio.
- Handled daily trademark matters—including trademark opposition, cancellation, and appellate proceedings—for a Fortune 500 multinational medical device, pharmaceutical and consumer goods manufacturer.
- Monitored legislation and congressional hearings and drafted legislation for university technology transfer organization as part of patent reform efforts in 112th-114th Congresses.
- District of Columbia
- William & Mary Law School, J.D., 2008, William & Mary Journal of Women and the Law
- College of William & Mary, B.A., 2004
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, Policy Monitory for Information Technology Legislation
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Bloomberg BNA, In Practice: IP Advisory Council, Board Member
- Brand Activation Association
- Copyright Alliance
- Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- International Trademark Association
- Virginia State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- The College of William and Mary School of Law, Co-Counsel Mentoring Program, Mentor