Mark W. Phillips* counsels and advises health care industry clients on complex contract negotiations and strategic affiliations. With more than 15 years’ experience in the health care industry, Mark is well versed in the day-to-day challenges facing senior management, including Anti-Kickback and IRS compliance as well as finding solutions to the financial and operational issues that arise during the course of contract negotiations.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark was assistant general counsel for Compass Group—the leading food service and support services company in the United States, with more than $1 billion in annual sales to health care providers such as hospitals and senior living communities. His experience includes drafting and negotiating health system wide contracts for food and nutrition services and environmental services; group purchasing organization agreements; and other types of purchased service contracts (vending, patient transportation, plant operations and maintenance). Mark has also negotiated other types of vendor contracts and has experience with dispute resolution, settlement agreements, preliminary litigation issues and employment-related matters.
His significant experience with outsourcing agreements, group purchasing organization agreements, leases, software licensing agreements, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements and business associate agreements is beneficial to a wide range of clients outside of the health care sector, including those in business, education and contracts for sporting venues.
*Admitted in Georgia only. District of Columbia Bar application pending; practice supervised by partners of the firm who are active D.C. Bar members pursuant to D.C. Bar Rule 49(c)(8).
- Negotiated outsourcing agreement for food and nutrition services and environmental services involving a Midwestern hospital system with more than 80 hospitals. Also negotiated subsequent expansion of the agreement to laundry services, vending, patient transportation and valet services.
- Negotiated outsourcing agreements for food and nutrition services, environmental services and/or other outsourcing services involving a Midwestern hospital system with more than 40 hospitals.
- Negotiated numerous outsourcing agreements for food and nutrition and/or environmental services involving hospital systems with five or more hospitals throughout the United States.
- Negotiated numerous outsourcing agreements for senior living health care systems involving five or more communities throughout the United States.
- Negotiated food service agreements for several group purchasing organizations to use with their members.
- Has addressed IRS compliance concerns involving outsourcing arrangements involving nonprofit health care providers.
- Georgia State University, M.B.A., 2000
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- Virginia Wesleyan College, B.A., 1985, magna cum laude
- Georgia Bar Association