Andy S. Norin assists clients with complex commercial real estate transactions and land development and redevelopment projects.
Andy counsels developers and other clients through the land development approvals process on a diverse array of projects including multi-family residential, mixed use, industrial, office and retail. He routinely appears before municipal governing bodies, zoning and planning boards and other municipal boards and commissions throughout New Jersey in connection with land development applications and rezonings. In addition, Andy advises clients on compliance with state statutes and regulations related to land development and guides clients through the maze of permits and approvals required from counties, regional authorities and the state of New Jersey, including the Department of Environmental Protection, the Department of Transportation and the Department of Community Affairs.
Andy also focuses his practice on redevelopment projects governed by New Jersey’s Local Redevelopment and Housing Law. He counsels clients regarding the designation of Areas in Need of Redevelopment, negotiates and drafts Redevelopment Agreements and structures, negotiates and drafts Financial Agreements for the payment in lieu of taxes (PILOT) pursuant to New Jersey’s Long Term Tax Exemption Law and Five Year Exemption and Abatement Law.
Andy’s practice also encompasses land use litigation. When development projects are denied by approving agencies or challenged by third-party objectors, he prosecutes and defends such appeals in the Courts.
Andy represents clients in a wide range of acquisition and disposition transactions. He has a particular depth of experience in land acquisition and assemblage for development and managing land development due diligence in connection with the acquisition of complex development and redevelopment projects.
Andy represents both landlords and tenants in lease transactions for various types of facilities including, industrial warehouses, retail, office and athletic facilities.
- Obtained bifurcated, Use Variance and Site Plan Approval for a 200+ unit multi-family residential apartment building in Parsippany, New Jersey.
- Represents the redeveloper of the Speedwell Avenue Redevelopment project in Morristown New Jersey, a multi-phase, mixed-use redevelopment project, which upon full build out will consist of approximately 650 residential units, 35,000 square feet of commercial space, structured parking, public open space, and significant road, sewer, water and other infrastructure improvements.
- Represents the redeveloper of the Gateway Business Park in Oldmans Township, New Jersey in connection with the development of a 2 million square foot industrial/warehouse project.
- Represented the redeveloper of 200+ unit multi-family residential redevelopment projects in Plainfield and Maplewood, New Jersey, including the designation of areas in need of redevelopment, adoption of Redevelopment Plans, obtaining site plan approval and negotiating Redevelopment Agreements and Financial Agreements.
- Negotiated a Redevelopment Agreement and Financial Agreement for “The MC” hotel, a boutique, luxury hotel in Montclair, New Jersey.
- Negotiated a Redevelopment Agreement and Financial Agreement for a 600‐700 megawatt natural gas fueled power plant in Woodbridge, NJ.
- Represented developer in the acquisition of land for a 324 unit multi-family residential apartment community on the Hudson River in Yonkers, New York. The land is ground leased from the Yonkers Industrial Development Agency.
- Represented developer in the acquisition of land for a 366 unit multi-family residential apartment building in Jersey City, New Jersey.
- Represented an owner/manager of multi‐family residential properties in connection with the sale of a 144‐unit apartment complex in Mercer County, N.J. and the simultaneous acquisition of a 92‐unit apartment complex in Orange County, N.Y. The transaction included a collateral swap under an existing multi‐property credit facility owned by Freddie Mac. The acquired property included low-income housing funded by a Housing Trust Fund Corporation grant, NYHMFA financing and Low Income Housing Tax Credits and required approval by both HTFC and HMFA.
- Represented an industrial tenant in connection with the $30 million acquisition of its 450,000 square foot manufacturing facility in Essex County, N.J., and the assumption of approximately $25 million in debt encumbering the property.
- Represented the purchaser of an approximately 142,000 square foot warehouse/distribution facility.
- Represented the seller of an approximately 80,000 square foot industrial/manufacturing facility.
- Represented the seller of a 10-tenant strip mall in Riverhead, New York.
- Represented the landlord in connection with a long term movie theater lease with the second largest theater chain owner/operator in the United States. The lease involved the substantial renovation of an existing theater within a million plus square foot mixed use (office/retail/hotel) project in Morristown, New Jersey.
- Represented landlord in connection with the lease of approximately 25,000 square feet of warehouse space to a Fortune 100 user for a cold storage distribution facility.
- Represented tenant in connection with the lease of approximately 15,000 square feet of office space in New York City.
- Represented the tenant in connection with the lease of 50,000 square feet of industrial space in Indiana.
- Represents the owner of a chain of rock climbing gyms (as tenant) in connection with long term leases for their facilities. The leases typically include an approvals contingency and provisions for the gym’s extensive specialized tenant improvements.
Andy is committed to pro bono work and has dedicated hundreds of hours of time counseling not-for-profit organizations on real estate and development related matters. In 2007, the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference, a federation of member clubs and individuals dedicated to providing recreational hiking opportunities and representing the interests and concerns of the hiking community, recognized Andy’s “dedicated pro bono legal assistance” by awarding him the Trail Conference’s Corporate Partner Award.
- Represented the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference in connection with its acquisition of the Darlington Schoolhouse, a historic schoolhouse, which the Trail Conference subsequently rehabilitated and now uses as its headquarters. The acquisition was accomplished through a public-private partnership in which the Trail Conference took joint title to the property with Mahwah Township utilizing New Jersey State Department of Environmental Protection Green Acres Funds and Bergen County Open Space Funds. Andy counseled the Trail Conference through the complex transaction.
- Represented the Trail Conference in connection with the complex approvals process required to rehabilitate and occupy the Darlington Schoolhouse. In addition to being listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the schoolhouse is located within New Jersey’s Highlands Preservation Area and the flood hazard area of the Darlington Brook, which is encumbered with wetlands and is in close proximity to alleged sightings of several threatened and endangered species, including Wood Turtles, Box Turtles and Rattlesnakes. Representation included obtaining a use variance from the Mahwah Township Zoning Board and the successful negotiation of a settlement agreement with the NJDEP granting an exemption to the Trail Conference from the applicability of the Highlands Act.
New York–New Jersey Trial Conference Corporate Partner Award
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Corporate Partner AwardNew York - New Jersey Trial Conference
- New Jersey
- New York
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2001, Georgetown Journal of Law and Public Policy
- George Washington University, B.A., 1998, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- New Jersey Builders Association, Legislative Affairs Committee, MLUL Task Force
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Land Use Section
- NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association, New Jersey Chapter