Gordon B. Nash, Jr. is a trial lawyer with extensive experience in federal and state courts. Gordon joined the firm in 1978 and has represented clients in the areas of white collar criminal defense, securities, antitrust and commercial litigation. He is often called upon to conduct internal investigations for corporate clients. He has previously served as the litigation department chair and a member of the management committee. Gordon has served as an arbitrator in more than 100 commercial cases primarily for the American Arbitration Association. He also provides private mediation services.
Gordon started his legal career as a Captain in the United States Army assigned to the Staff Judge Advocate of the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam. After the Army, Gordon served in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Chicago, where he became the chief of the Special Prosecutions Division.
Gordon has also taught trial advocacy at John Marshall Law School and lectured and written for the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
- Represented a class of Chicago Board of Trade members in a dispute with the Chicago Board of Options Exchange. In approving the settlement valued at approximately $1 billion, the Chancellor in Delaware stated the case was especially “difficult and complicated”. The judge described Gordon’s work as “fair-minded” commending him for resolving “tough issues in a reasonable and responsible manner” thus achieving a result better than one could have expected.
- Represented the chair of the audit committee of the Hollinger International Inc., owner of The Chicago Sun Times. The representations involved inquiries by the SEC, DOJ and various civil lawsuits.
American College of Trial Lawyers
Recipient of the John Marshall Award by the U.S. Attorney General
Recipient of the Justice John Paul Stevens Award
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Gordon Nash is noted for his 'high quality' and 'high reputation.' He is experienced at trial and appellate level in cases concerning securities and general commercial litigation.Chambers USA (2013)
Gordon Nash maintains a broad litigation practice, which includes advising on criminal investigations and handling civil antitrust and securities disputes. He is a highly regarded trial lawyer, and also frequently serves as a commercial arbitrator.Chambers USA (2017)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1969
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1966
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Groups, Vice Chair
- State of Illinois, Attorney Registration Disciplinary Commission, Review Board, Chair
- Supreme Court of Illinois, MCLE Board (2007-2012)
- Supreme Court of Illinois Committee on Professionalism, Chair Constitutional Rights Foundation, Chicago, Chairman (1998-2001)
- Chicago Inn of Court, President (1996-1997)
- Chicago Bar Association, President (1990-1991)
- State of Illinois, Board of Ethics, Chairman (1980-1985)