John P. Mitchell assists clients with large environmental lawsuits relating to soil and groundwater contamination and natural resource damages. He also handles other complex commercial litigation matters, including consumer fraud act cases, commercial foreclosure/creditors’ rights actions on behalf of large national lending institutions and other clients, actions in lieu of prerogative writs on behalf of developers and owners challenging zoning ordinances and challenging and defending municipal actions concerning development applications, commercial contract disputes, and construction disputes. John has also represented numerous clients seeking to enforce the public’s right of access to government records under the New Jersey Open Public Records Act.
John’s recent engagements include:
- Representation of the primary defendant in one of the largest environmental lawsuits ever brought in the State of New Jersey.
- Representation of a global company in a consumer fraud act case by putative class of tenants at properties throughout New Jersey.
- Representation of a second mortgagee at trial and on appeal in successfully arguing for equitable subordination of first mortgagee’s interest.
- Representation of a hotel owner in obtaining an injunction and at trial in a lawsuit against a property manager threatening to discontinue utility service over unpaid charges.
- Representation of a laundry equipment company in a contractual dispute over liability for environmental contamination.
- Representation of a large national payroll provider in a contract dispute with a customer.
- Representation of a private university in negotiating the favorable settlement of an environmental litigation filed by State of New Jersey for damages to natural resources.
- Representation of a developer in an action challenging a municipality’s refusal to accept ownership and responsibility for a bridge to be constructed for access to a landlocked parcel zoned for multifamily residential development.
- New Jersey
- New York
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D., 2002, Hofstra Labor & Employment Journal
- Hofstra University, B.A., 1999
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Middlesex County Bar Association