Lori A. Mills has a versatile environmental law practice that integrates strong litigation skills with compliance and transactional guidance. Lori engages in complex, multiparty litigation and also advises clients with respect to the environmental implications of real estate and corporate transactions. She is vice chair of the firm’s Environmental and Energy Group and has more than 25 years of experience.
Lori's environmental litigation experience includes cost recovery under various state statutes, allocation proceedings and toxic tort litigation. She also participates in strategic planning to manage high-profile environmental cases and helps clients navigate the risks and implications of environmental matters arising in real estate and corporate transactions.
In all aspects of her work, Lori focuses on creative problem solving, integrating a broad range of legal and technical experience with strategic thinking to help manage environmental risk and liability.
Lori has handled a wide range of complex, multiparty environmental litigation, including:
- Prosecuting and defending cost recovery litigation with federal and state agencies under Superfund, RCRA and analogous state statutes.
- Participating in private party contribution litigation, mediation and other allocation proceedings.
- Prosecuting and defending toxic tort litigation for personal injury or property damage arising from alleged exposure to hazardous substances.
- Defended clients in multi-party cost recovery litigation commenced by the United States for recovery of past costs and future remediation of the Ewan and D'Imperio Superfund Sites. Representation included participation in litigation proceedings, mediation and settlement of claims with the U.S. and among the defendants, as well as participation in contribution claims against non-settling defendants.
Lori participates in strategic planning to manage environmental cases. She:
- Organizes and manages PRP and joint defense groups.
- Negotiates consent decrees, administrative consent orders and other settlements for cost recovery, natural resource damages and implementation of remedial activities.
- Counsels with respect to compliance with remediation and reporting requirements under various state and federal statutes and regulations such as the New Jersey Spill Act, WPCA, SWMA, HSWA, CERCLA, RCRA and TSCA.
- Negotiated settlement of claims brought by the State of New Jersey seeking recovery of past costs, natural resource damages and remediation relating to 180+ sites in Hudson and Essex Counties alleged to be contaminated with chromium compounds.
- Negotiated broad covenant not to sue from USEPA based on the existence of a divisibility defense.
Lori advises clients with respect to environmental implications of real estate and corporate transactions. Her experience includes:
- Advising on the use of environmental risk management tools such as deed notices, indemnities, releases, contribution protection and environmental insurance.
- Negotiated remediation, access and settlement agreements between and among current and former owners of industrial property and developer for new use of the property as box retail.
- Negotiated various leases and agreements to support clients' sediment removal action in the Passaic River.
- Negotiated access, remediation and coordination agreements to support solar use at a remediated landfill.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Lori Mills is sought after for her counsel on environmental aspects affecting corporate transactions and has particular expertise in issues concerning site remediation. She is also highly esteemed for her strengths in environmental litigation. One satisfied client attests: ‘She's accessible, has many years of experience, and I have great confidence in the advice that I'm getting.’Chambers USA (2017)
Band 2 – New Jersey, Environment (2011–2017)Chambers USA
- New Jersey
- Rutgers University School of Law - Camden, J.D., 1988, with honors
- Temple University, B.A., 1985, magna cum laude
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association