John P. Michalski handles sophisticated commercial real estate transactions, land use planning and development, redevelopment and rehabilitation projects, and appeals of land development approvals.
John has extensive experience advising clients on the land development approval process for various types of complex projects, including those involving office, commercial, multi-family residential, mixed-use, educational, renewable energy, industrial and warehouse facilities, and those matters involving general development plans or planned developments. John has handled several high-profile development projects that have faced significant opposition.
John represents clients on various redevelopment projects governed by the New Jersey Local Redevelopment and Housing Law. John routinely advises clients on designations of Areas in Need of Redevelopment and Areas in Need of Rehabilitation, as well as the process for the adoption of Redevelopment Plans. Prior to joining the firm, he represented municipalities in matters involving constitutional challenges to both Redevelopment and Rehabilitation designations.
John advises clients on the land development appeal process. He has appeared before both the Trial Court and Appellate Division on numerous occasions in connection with an objector challenge to a local land use board approval or other municipal zoning action.
John represents clients on complex commercial real estate transactions, particularly transactions involving land development contingencies and land development due diligence. John also represents clients in lease transactions.
During law school, John worked with several members of the Judiciary in the State of New Jersey. He interned for the Honorable Virginia A. Long, Associate Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court, the Honorable Joseph H. Rodriguez, Senior Judge for the United States District Court in Camden, and the Honorable Eugene D. Serpentelli, Assignment Judge of Ocean County, Superior Court of New Jersey. After graduating law school, John served as Law Clerk to the Honorable B. Theodore Bozonelis, Assignment Judge of Morris and Sussex Counties, Superior Court of New Jersey.
- Represented an auto manufacturer in an approximately 780,000 square foot phased expansion of warehouse space in Robbinsville, New Jersey.
- Represented a charter school organization in connection with the development of an approximately 170,000 square foot charter school in Newark, New Jersey.
- Represented the developer of a 12-story, mixed-use building containing approximately 100 residential units with retail space in Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Represented a developer in connection with a redevelopment project for the construction of a mixed-use building in Maplewood, New Jersey.
- Represented a developer in connection with a redevelopment project for the construction of a 212 unit multi-family residential building in Plainfield, New Jersey.
- Represented a developer in connection with a redevelopment project for the construction of an approximately 110,000 square foot medical office building in Paterson, New Jersey.
- Represented a multi-family residential developer in the acquisition of a site for a $110M redevelopment project in Yonkers, New York.
- 62-64 Main St., LLC v. Mayor & Council of City of Hackensack, 221 N.J. 129 (2015)
- Eric Baker Architecture, P.C. v. Mehmel, No. A-1186-12T4, 2013 WL 6169210 (N.J. Super. Ct. App. Div. Nov. 26, 2013)
- Children's Ctr. of Monmouth Cty., Inc. v. First Energy Corp., No. A-3963-10T3, 2012 WL 738595 (N.J. Super. Ct. App. Div. Mar. 8, 2012)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rutgers University School of Law - Camden, J.D., 2006, Rutgers Journal of Law & Religion
- University of Scranton, B.A., 2002
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Land Use Law Section, Board of Directors
- NAIOP, Commercial Real Estate Development Association, New Jersey Chapter