James C. McMeen has experience in a broad variety of corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, forming, organizing and counseling start-up and emerging companies. He also has experience in insurance regulatory matters, joint venture/partnering transactions, venture capital financings, and ongoing compliance with federal securities laws.
Jim represents numerous public and private companies and private equity firms in the acquisition or disposition of a broad range of businesses, including clients in the manufacturing, consumer services, software, and information technology industries.
Jim counsels private equity funds and provides legal advice with respect to acquisitions and divestitures, dividend recapitalizations, and other transactions, along with drafting indemnification agreements, management services agreements and other private equity-specific corporate and related documents.
Jim reviews, drafts and negotiates a broad range of corporate agreements, including letters of intent, subscription agreements, operating agreements, joint venture agreements, purchase and supply agreements, distributor and sales representative agreements, and nondisclosure agreements. He is well-versed regarding corporate legal issues under New Jersey and Delaware corporate law. A substantial part of Jim’s practice involves acting as outside counsel to a number of emerging and middle-market privately held companies, and providing practical legal solutions to the day-to-day problems that face such companies.
Jim provides a broad range of legal services to entrepreneurs and growing businesses in a variety of industries, often functioning in a strategic "outside general counsel" role. He counsels clients on strategic business matters throughout a company's life-cycle and represents and advises clients in critical business transactions, including seed, angel and venture capital financings, acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, strategic alliances and other commercial arrangements. Jim also counsels angel investors, venture capital funds and corporate venture arms of large corporations in connection with early and late stage preferred stock and convertible debt financings. He regularly advises his investor clients on corporate governance, strategic transactions and other critical business matters involving their portfolio companies.
Jim also handles corporate, transactional and regulatory issues affecting insurance companies. He has experience in business formations, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, redomestications, and holding company transactions.
He has experience preparing and reviewing periodic filings required under federal and state securities laws, including Form 10-Ks, Form 10-Qs, Form 8-Ks and proxy materials.
During law school, Jim externed for the Honorable David R. Strawbridge, Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Represented an e-commerce platform company in its merger with a subsidiary of a publicly-traded technology solutions company.
- Represented a NASDAQ-listed automotive media and marketing services company in its $10 million acquisition of a web-based auto leads and services provider.
- Represented a global consulting firm in its $10 million sale to the subsidiary of an NYSE-listed corporation.
- Represented an offshore insurance company in its $646 million acquisition of an insurance holding company.
- Represented an information technology company in a management buyout of the equity in a wholly owned subsidiary.
- Represented a NASDAQ-listed provider of business outsourcing services in its sale of its tax calculation and compliance software business to a private equity fund.
- Represented an ocean liner shipping services company in its acquisition of an inter-ocean steamship corporation.
- Represented an assisted living obligated group in its sale of four assisted living facilities to another assisted living obligated group.
- Represented an information technology company in its acquisition of an online publishing and advertising business from a NASDAQ-listed corporation.
- Represented an NYSE-listed online trading services corporation in its acquisition of two commodity brokerage firms.
- Represented a data management and analytics company in the sale of its market research report line of business.
- Represented a business solutions consulting company in its sale to an NYSE-listed corporation.
- Represented a secured lender in the sale of substantially all of the assets of the debtor, an informatics software provider, to a global data management and integration company.
- Represented Graham Partners and its portfolio companies in a large number of acquisitions, divestitures, recapitalizations and other transactions, including the acquisitions of several plastic container manufacturing companies.
- Represented a data management and analysis company in its equity and debt restructuring.
- Represented a privately held wholesale consumer goods supplier in connection with the reorganization of its holding company structure and its repurchase of equity from certain institutional investors.
- Represented a portfolio company of a private equity fund in a dividend recapitalization.
- Represented a private equity firm in the strategic merger of two portfolio companies.
- Represented a start-up social volunteering internet company in its $1.5 million Series A investment round by institutional investors.
- Represented a start-up e-commerce internet company in its $4.8 million Series A investment round by institutional investors.
- Represented private investors in their minority equity investment in a privately held manufacturer of automated test and monitoring systems for the pharmaceutical, life, science and biotech industries.
- Represented a biotechnology venture fund in its $10 million Series B investment in a privately held pharmaceutical company.
- Represented an offshore insurance company with respect to its regulatory filings in Bermuda, Liechtenstein, the U.K. and other foreign countries in connection with its $646 million acquisition of an insurance holding company.
- Represented an offshore insurance company with respect to its regulatory filings in New Jersey and California in connection with its $219 million acquisition of an insurance holding company.
- Represented an offshore insurance company with respect to its regulatory filings in New York in connection with its $2.5 million acquisition of an insurance holding company.
- Represented an insurance company with respect to state regulatory filings in New Jersey and Florida in connection with an acquisition.
- Represented private investors with respect to their regulatory filings in Delaware in connection with their acquisition of equity in an insurance and reinsurance offshore holding company.
- Represented an offshore insurance company with respect to its periodic regulatory filings in New Jersey, New York, California, and Florida.
- Represented a publicly traded medical device company in its $5.4 million registered direct equity financing.
- Represented a publicly traded mortgage insurance company in its $550 million underwritten public offering of common shares.
- Represented a NASDAQ-listed corporation in its underwritten public offering of common shares.
Dean’s Merit Scholarship, Villanova University School of Law
Herman J. Obert Award, Villanova University School of Law
The Reverend Joseph Ulman Award, Villanova University School of Law
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
James McMeen is ‘very smart and diligent,’ sources say. He offers a broad range of services to corporate clients including expertise in M&A and securities transactions.Chambers USA
Corporate/M&A, New JerseyChambers USA (2014–2016)
- New Jersey
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 2009, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Villanova Law Review
- Harvard University, B.A., 2005