Gerald P. McCartin represents hospitals, health care systems, academic medical centers, diagnostic imaging companies and other health care entities in a variety of transactions, including strategic affiliations, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, management agreements, vendor agreements and general corporate matters. Gerry also represents health care clients in the negotiation of investments in portfolio companies in health care information technology and related fields. He is a member of the Health Care and Corporate teams.
Outside of the health care arena, Gerry represents companies in a variety of industries, including information technology, software development, energy, commercial real estate, consulting and services in a wide range of corporate and securities matters, including mergers and acquisitions, business organization, joint ventures, securities offerings, executive employment agreements and general corporate matters.
Representative client matters include:
- An academic medical center and hospital system in a series of system integration agreements creating a regional health system.
- An academic medical center in (i) the formation of joint ventures for developing and commercializing health care technologies, (ii) the formation of a joint venture to construct and operate a hospital, (iii) a series of investments in health care information technology companies and (iv) the initial public offering of a portfolio company.
- A regional health system in its affiliation with a post-acute care company.
- An academic medical center in the sale of its home hospice program.
- A public diagnostic imaging company in securities matters as well as acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures related to diagnostic imaging companies.
- A public company in connection with the negotiation of purchased services contracts on behalf of health care systems.
- A transcription company in various acquisitions and its ultimate sale to a private equity company.
- A health information technology company in its merger with a public company.
- An educational technology company in its acquisition by a private equity company.
- An energy company in its acquisition by a private equity company.
- A commercial real estate company in its acquisition by a public company.
- Part of a team that advised Thomas Jefferson University in its combination with Aria Health (Philadelphia, PA) on all aspects of the transaction, including negotiation of the definitive agreement, due diligence, and corporate and regulatory requirements. This combination resulted in the creation of the largest health system in the five-county region in southeast Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey.
- Part of a team that advised Thomas Jefferson University in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Rothman Orthopaedic Specialty Hospital (ROSH) in Bensalem, PA on all aspects of the transaction, including negotiation of the definitive agreement, due diligence, and corporate and regulatory requirements.
- District of Columbia
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1979, cum laude
- Georgetown University, B.S., 1976, cum laude
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Securities Law Division and Employment Law Division