Wayne B. Mason is a highly experienced trial attorney who defends national and international clients in diverse complex litigation matters across the country. His exceptional communication skills and “cut-to-the-chase” style has endeared him to both juries and clients, who appreciate his straightforward approach.
Wayne acts as national and regional coordinating counsel and is often retained to represent companies facing “bet the company” litigation risks. He has substantial experience with class action cases and serves as lead counsel on bellwether cases, where the ramifications of a verdict extend far beyond the individual case. He also acts as a consultant to corporations by managing litigation and helping them minimize exposures.
He is routinely called upon by clients to serve in the lead-attorney role in complex cases headed for trial. Wayne’s clients know they can count on his courtroom savvy and cool resourcefulness under pressure, making him the ideal lawyer for these situations, regardless the subject matter of the case. The range of some of his recent engagements demonstrates this: he defended one of the largest school districts in the U.S.; strategizing in corporate governance and SEC matters for Fortune 100 clients; acting as lead counsel in an MDL; acting as lead defensive counsel in the Flint Water Crisis in Genesee County, Michigan; and recently securing a very favorable jury verdict in a Mary Carter case tried for six weeks in Los Angeles.
One of Wayne’s unique attributes is that he understands the power of narrative in litigation. His story-based approach to presenting information entertains, instructs and, most importantly, persuades judges and juries alike. An engaging storyteller, Wayne’s thoughtfully crafted stories and parables have mesmerized audiences from courthouses to convention halls.
“Unquestionably, Mr. Mason ... possess[es] … a level of skill and experience only a very small percentageMember, American College of Trial Lawyers
of lawyers have … as demonstrated throughout this litigation and by the verdict.”
- Samford University, Cumberland School of Law, J.D., 1984
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, B.S., 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Defense Research Institute, Past Member of Board of Directors
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Past President and Executive Committee member
- Lawyers for Civil Justice, Past President and Executive Committee member
Wayne's Areas of Focus
- Accounting Litigation
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy and Construction Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- ERISA Litigation
- Health Care Litigation
- Professional Services Liability
- Real Estate Litigation and Arbitration
- Securities and Corporate Governance Litigation
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Products Liability and Mass Tort
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation
- Insurance Litigation and Coverage