Joan A. Koenig has considerable experience applying U.S. export controls, customs and international trade laws and regulations to various situations and business transactions for both U.S. and non-U.S. companies. She represents her clients before administrative agencies involved in international trade, including the U.S. Departments of State, Commerce and Treasury, as well as the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). Joan assists her clients in obtaining export licenses, manufacturing license and technical assistance agreements, authorizations from the Office of Foreign Assets Control, as well as other types of export approvals from applicable agencies and working to structure transactions to comply with the export control regulations. Her clients seek her assistance in assessing potential violations, filing voluntary disclosures to regulating agencies and cancelling or minimizing potential fines and penalties.
Joan previously acted as a manager for the Office of Export Compliance at General Motors Corporation and was a member of GM’s Customs Administration Group, where she provided advice and counsel to GM’s global business units regarding compliance with U.S. export control laws and regulations.
- Northwestern University, J.D., 1994
- Ripon College, B.A., 1986, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- American Association of Exporters and Importers, Export Committee, Co-Chair
- Society for International Affairs
- Trade Support Network Export Committee