Joseph M. Kelleher represents clients in a variety of commercial and insurance matters with a focus on the software industry, stranger-originated life insurance policies, and other complex business disputes. He joined the firm in 2010 following a clerkship with the Hon. Robert B. Kugler, U.S. District Judge for the District of New Jersey.
Joe represents software industry clients in cases arising from the licensure and implementation of integrated business software solutions (ERP). Working closely with top experts in the field, he litigates across a broad spectrum of issues, including those related to project management, solution architecture, hardware sizing, defect remediation, performance testing, and software maintenance and support. Joe goes beyond merely litigating these issues by providing counsel to clients during on-going projects.
Joe's insurance experience is broad-based. On the life insurance side, Joe represents insurers in declaratory judgment actions seeking to have stranger-originated life insurance policies declared void ab initio. On the property and casualty side, Joe is at the forefront of several emerging issues facing the industry, such as risks arising from hydraulic fracturing.
Joe also has experience representing clients in proceedings conducted under the major international arbitration rules. Joe has particular experience in arbitrations administered by the ICC International Court of Arbitration, having actively participated in a number of matters, including defending against allegations of beach of contract and other business misconduct under French law with over €300 million at issue.
While in law school, Joe served as an intern for two federal district court judges. Between his undergraduate studies and law school, Joe served as a scout platoon leader in Ramadi, Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom IV.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer voiding a $5 million life insurance policy on grounds that it was an illegal wager that lacked insurable interest. Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada v. U.S. Bank Nat’l Ass., No. 14-62610, 2016 WL 161598 (S.D. Fla. Jan. 13, 2016)
- Obtained dismissal of plaintiff’s complaint alleging insurer wrongfully terminated life insurance policy without providing proper notice. Anderson v. Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada, No. 15-4422 (S.D. N.Y. Nov. 13, 2015)
- Obtained complete defense verdict for leading ERP firm after three-week federal jury trial against allegations of fraud and breach of contract in connection with software licensing. Hodell-Natco Indus., Inc. v. SAP America, Inc., No. 1:08-02755 (N.D. Ohio July 8, 2014)
- Obtained permanent injunction barring neighbor from encroaching upon client’s real property and damages to remediate property damage following bench trial. Grecu v. Caple, No. 12-0501584 (Pa. Ct. Com. Pl. Aug. 9, 2013)
- Obtained dismissal of plaintiff’s putative class action complaint alleging credit card company violated RICO by allegedly failing to identify and block the alleged internet gambling activities of online merchant. Hertzog v. QuiBids, LLC, No. 12-786 (D. Okla. May, 2013)
- New Jersey
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2009, magna cum laude, Temple Political & Civil Rights Law Review – Executive Articles and Symposium Editor
- Wake Forest University, B.A., 2004, cum laude
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Military Affairs Committee (Past Co-Chair)