Todd N. Hutchison has experience across a range of matters in areas including antitrust, RICO, white collar, legal malpractice, legal competency, contract disputes, oil and gas disputes, product liability, municipal bond litigation, and constitutional litigation. He also has experience in internal investigations in response to federal and state government inquiries. In handling these matters, Todd has gained experience in both state and federal litigation at the trial and appellate levels, including in bankruptcy adversary proceedings. He has significant responsibility across all phases of litigation, from pre-trial through appeal, including class certification, motion practice, expert witness development, and interlocutory and final order appeals. Todd’s clients have included heath care product manufacturers, insurance companies, financial institutions, oil and gas entities, individuals accused of criminal conduct, non-profit entities, and state agencies.
As part of his appellate practice, Todd has contributed to several petitions for review to the U.S. and Pennsylvania Supreme Courts, and numerous amicus curiae briefs to the U.S. Supreme Court, multiple U.S. Courts of Appeals, and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Prior to joining the firm, Todd clerked for Judge Michael M. Baylson of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and Judge Franklin S. Van Antwerpen of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Sebelius v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc., No. 13-354 (U.S.); Conestoga Wood Specialties Corp. v. Sebelius, No. 13-356 (U.S.) (Contraceptive Mandate)
- Lawson v. FMR, LLC, No. 12-3 (U.S.) (Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower provision)
- U.S. Dep’t of Health & Human Servs. v. Florida, No. 11-398 (U.S.) (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act)
- United States v. Stevens, No. 08-769 (U.S.) (First Amendment challenge to 18 U.S.C. § 48)
- In re: Fosamax (Alendronate Sodium) Products Liability Litigation, No. 14-1944 (3d Cir.) (Federal preemption of state-law claims under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and propriety of MDL procedures)
- New York State Psychiatric Association, Inc., et al., v. United Health Group, et al., No. 14-0020-CV (2d Cir.) (interplay of ERISA and Federal Parity Act)
- Grimes v. Enterprise Leasing Company of Philadelphia, LLC, No. 4 MAP 2014 (Pa.) (Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law)
Benjamin L. Winderman Award, Temple University Beasley School of Law
Distinguished Scholar Award, Temple University Fox School of Business and Management
Dean’s Certificate of Excellence, Temple University Fox School of Business and Management
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New Jersey
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2009, magna cum laude, Temple Law Review
- Temple University Fox School of Business, M.B.A., 2009
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section, Exemptions & Immunities Committee, Young Lawyer Representative