Rodney M. Hudson represents Fortune 100 and other clients in state and federal courts throughout the country. His practice primarily focuses on representing clients in mass torts, products liability, commercial, consumer fraud, unfair competition and class action litigation.
Rodney has represented global manufacturers of prescription and over-the-counter medications, medical devices, computers and other products. He has served as lead, co-lead and liaison counsel in multiple California statewide coordinated proceedings and has extensive experience with federal multidistrict litigation, including briefing before Multidistrict Litigation courts, the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation and various state and federal courts around the country. Rodney also has appeared pro hac vice on behalf of clients in numerous jurisdictions throughout the country.
Rodney also advises clients on risk management, regulatory compliance and strategies to minimize liability exposure, as well as privacy and data protection matters, including data security breaches.
Rodney regularly represents clients in complex litigation. He has successfully defended clients at trial and obtained favorable rulings at the pleadings phase and on summary judgment, and has prevailed on Daubert, Kelly/Frye and other motions in multiple jurisdictions. His representative matters include:
- Member of multiple national counsel teams defending global manufacturers of medical devices and pharmaceutical products in federal multidistrict litigation involving thousands of cases pending throughout the country. Led and managed brief writing, legal strategy, trial submissions and related issues for all cases across dozens of jurisdictions nationwide.
- Served as lead, co-lead and liaison counsel for clients in multiple California statewide coordinated proceedings in high stakes litigation.
- Member of trial team in the defense of the first of thousands of cases to go to trial involving recalled medical device where plaintiffs sought hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Member of trial team that obtained unanimous defense verdict in commercial dispute alleging trade libel, defamation and unfair business practices involving millions of dollars in alleged damages.
- Defended Fortune 10 technology client in putative class action involving alleged defective notebook computers.
- Represented California medical device manufacturer in putative class action, resulting in dismissal of putative class claims and individual claims of plaintiffs at the pleadings stage.
- Obtained summary judgment in multiple cases alleging that prescription product used off label resulted in significant injuries to patients.
- Obtained summary judgment in numerous cases involving over the counter medications based on lack of scientific evidence on causation.
- Obtained dismissal of numerous lawsuits brought by foreign plaintiffs who were residents of Taiwan, Canada, Germany and Peru but filed lawsuits in the United States against manufacturers located in the United States.
- Managed numerous nationwide data security breaches involving thousands of consumers and employees.
Rodney also advises clients on risk management, regulatory compliance and strategies to minimize liability exposure. He has counseled clients on pharmaceutical and technology products in all phases of the product life cycle. He also has been called upon by clients to evaluate liability exposure of target companies as part of due diligence in mergers and acquisitions.
Rodney has spoken nationally at conferences on privacy. He advises clients on how to develop an effective approach to managing the global patchwork of privacy and data security laws. Rodney has managed data security breaches involving thousands of individuals and has been recognized by pro bono clients for his work in the area of privacy.
Former New York State Assembly Graduate Law Scholar
Former North Carolina Legislative Studies Scholar
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 2001
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1996
- Syracuse University, M.A., 1996
- Campbell University, B.A., 1993, summa cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- California Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute