Michael R. Halsband has more than 25 years of leadership experience in the insurance and reinsurance industry, including investment banking, capital markets advisory and transaction. He advises his clients on corporate, transactional, and regulatory matters. His transactional experience includes work on mergers and acquisitions, complex structured reinsurance transactions, insurance-linked securities (ILS), sidecar and cat convergence fund formation and management, and distressed portfolio run-off administration and strategies. His knowledge of the industry has proven extensive—he has spearheaded numerous initiatives at companies including Sirius Group, Deutsche Bank and Goldman Sachs.
Michael was the founding senior executive and President of the capital markets & ILS convergence initiative at Sirius Group, where he was principally responsible for the development and launch of convergence strategy, design and structuring of third-party institutional cat platform. He was previously the Director of Capital Markets and Treasury Solutions at Deutsche Bank, where he engaged in the origination, structuring, execution and marketing of a range of ILS transactions sponsored by some of the insurance market’s leading and most well-known names.
Before Deutsche Bank, Michael was a Vice President at Goldman Sachs and responsible for the origination, structuring, execution and marketing of some of the earliest and most innovative syndicated sidecars and ILS transactions. Michael also previously served as North America General Counsel at Alea Group and insurance and corporate regulatory counsel at Centre Group.
- Led close to 30 insurance risk linked securitizations (cat bonds, loans and sidecars) securitizing nearly $7 billion of catastrophe exposed insurance risk.
- Introduced some of the ILS sector’s more innovative structures, including: earliest primary insurance sidecar (Concord Re), first health insurance medical loss ratio securitization (Vitality Re), earliest use of a PCS county weighted index in a 144A note (Ibis Re), first fully levered sidecar cat loan (Emerson Re), first cat risk securitization to provide cat protection for the benefit of CEA (Embarcadero I-III).
- Led design and formation of reinsurer sponsored cat convergence ILS platform: Sirius Capital Markets (registered investment advisor), SCM High Yield Reinsurance Risk, Strategies Fund Ltd. (master-feeder hedge fund platform) and Alstead Re Ltd. (segregated cell transformer reinsurer).
- New York
- Rutgers University School of Law - Newark, J.D., 1989
- Muhlenberg College, B.A., 1986
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York