Nicolas Guzman assists his clients in all aspects of international trade laws and regulations. Nick has experience helping clients with a variety of import issues, including import tariff classification, valuation, country of origin determination and marking issues, and eligibility determinations under various free trade agreements and duty preference programs.
Nick assists clients with establishing import operations, from the development of internal controls through the planning and execution of post-entry audit processes. He also conducts compliance reviews of existing customs practices, including the enhancement of customs procedures and training company personnel on import-related topics.
Nick assists clients undergoing CBP focused assessments and penalty investigations. He has a significant amount of experience drafting prior disclosures, pre-penalty petitions, mitigation petitions, ruling requests on various issues and formal protests relating to the importation of merchandise into the United States.
Nick regularly assists clients with international customs compliance issues. He has significant experience with customs compliance requirements for maquiladora manufacturing operations in Mexico, as well as with tariff classification and country of origin determinations worldwide. He has conducted compliance reviews in Latin America and has provided Spanish-language training and advice to company personnel. Nick is fluent in Spanish.
- Represented a manufacturing company in the administrative challenge of a tariff classification determination before U.S. Customs and Border Protection headquarters.
- Led a team of international employees through a multifaceted winding down of Mexican maquiladora operations.
- Assisted client in obtaining a binding ruling from U.S. Customs and Border Protection validating an alternative valuation methodology for engineering assists.
- Represented a large produce client in a prior disclosure related to inaccurate preferential claims under the Dominican Republic-Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA-DR).
- Assisted client in the development and execution of an internal post-entry audit program.
- District of Columbia
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 2009
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 2006
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- American Association of Exporters and Importers
- International Compliance Professionals Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association