Jerald M. Goodman assists clients with commercial real estate transactions, particularly acquisitions, dispositions, retail, office and industrial leasing, real estate secured finance and joint ventures. He also handles all aspects of the real estate development process including permits and approvals, as well as the drafting and negotiation of design and construction agreements with architects, engineers, construction managers and general contractors.
Jerry has assisted clients in major commercial development projects from start to finish, including development of office buildings, apartment buildings and shopping centers. He has particular experience in the representation of clients in the retail industry, including an owner of a portfolio of enclosed shopping malls, power centers and life-style centers.
Jerry has many years of experience in drafting and negotiating retail, office and industrial leases as well as build to suit and ground leases. A large part of his practice is devoted to retail leasing for both landlords and tenants, including anchor tenant leases. Jerry has represented numerous clients involved in land use development and permitting issues, including the handling of zoning hearings and appeals and land subdivision and development matters.
His practice also includes real estate secured finance transactions and, in particular, construction financing. Jerry has represented lenders in a number of construction loans for new mixed-use and residential condominium projects in Philadelphia. He has represented several major lending institutions in loan transactions involving the construction, development and operation of health care facilities, including nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and rehabilitation, psychiatric and long term acute care hospitals.
He is a contributing author to the Real Estate Systems Manual, published by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, and a frequent speaker at both ICSC Law Conference and the annual conference of the National Association of College and University Attorneys.
Jerry has extensive experience with a wide range of commercial real estate transactions. His representative matters include:
- Represented a publicly traded REIT in connection with the sale of nine regional shopping malls located in Pennsylvania and New Jersey ranging from 500,000 square feet to 900,000 square feet.
- Represented a health system in a built-to-suit lease for a 120,000-square-foot single-user medical office building.
- Represented a developer in its acquisition, development and financing of a mixed-use project including 195 market rate residential units and street level retail space in Philadelphia.
- Handled a number of anchor tenant leases for a publicly-traded retail REIT including a 55,000-square-foot building with a national organic supermarket and café as part of a redevelopment of an existing mall.
- Represented the senior debt lender in a $90,000,000 construction financing for a 22-story luxury condominium tower in Center City, Philadelphia.
- Represented a privately held, national developer of industrial properties in connection with the acquisition, permitting, development and financing of a 255,000 sq. foot warehouse and office project in Philadelphia.
- Real estate counsel to a publicly traded energy and utility holding company in connection with a $800 million secured energy, marketing and trading facility secured in part by mortgages on two power generating facilities in Pennsylvania.
- Represented a publicly traded energy and utility holding company and its subsidiaries as real estate counsel for a $304 million acquisition of entities, which own and operate a 705-megawatt combined-cycle natural gas-fired power plant in Pennsylvania.
- Represented a private equity fund manager in connection with the drafting and negotiation of all construction and design agreements for its portfolio of properties, including the construction of a 450,000 square foot industrial facility in Virginia and a 350 unit multifamily housing project in Pennsylvania.
Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (2015)
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Jerry is ‘very smart, very practical and develops creative solutions to problems.'Chambers USA
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1984, cum laude, Journal of International Law – Editor-in-Chief
- Temple University, B.A., 1981, cum laude
- American Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Anti-Defamation League, Philadelphia Chapter, Board Member