Edwin A. Getz counsels clients in the area of intellectual property and information technology law. Ed manages IP portfolios for a diverse array of businesses in the hi-tech, health care, aviation, education, entertainment, financial services, transportation and consumer products industries. He performs assessments and develops enforcement strategies for clients with large IP portfolios and conducts investigations and enforcement actions regarding the misappropriation of intellectual property rights. Ed also has considerable experience representing clients in the litigation and dispute resolution of IP and information technology claims.
Ed has extensive experience representing clients in the development, acquisition, and licensing of information technology assets, software and databases, and in the online distribution and sourcing of products and services. He counsels clients with respect to all aspects of information technology and website issues, including software and content licenses and distribution agreements, website development agreements, network services and hosting agreements, system and infrastructure implementation agreements and a broad range of outsourcing arrangements. He also concentrates on negotiating complex technology transfers and joint venture arrangements. Ed enjoys representing both new technology companies and well-established companies that are using technology and information assets in innovative ways.
Ed was born in South Africa and, in his legal practice, he has advised U.S. companies on entering the South African market and joint venturing in South Africa, and counseled South African companies exporting products to the U.S.
Ed is a member of the Intellectual Property Practice Group and the Regional Partner in Charge of the firm’s Chicago office.
- Washington University, J.D., 1985
- Northwestern University, M.B.A., 1982
- Carleton College, B.A., 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- American Constitution Society, Board of Advisors
- The Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
- The International Trademark Association
- The Chicago Bar Association, Computer Law Committee
- Volunteer for Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- American Intellectual Property Law Association