Kristi M. Garrett* counsels clients on issues related to insurance regulatory compliance throughout the United States and works with U.S. and international insurers and reinsurers. She actively monitors state insurance-related legislative and regulatory developments, and works extensively with London, Bermuda and European insurance market participants regarding non-admitted insurance and reinsurance transactions in the U.S. Kristi defends clients in complex commercial litigation, including class actions and advises on issues relating to institutional business practices and corporate compliance.
Kristi has conducted internal reviews and counseled clients through government inquiries and investigations by various state Departments of Insurance, Offices of State Attorneys General and the Securities Exchange Commission.
While earning her law degree, she was a student law clerk for the Hon. Denise L. Cote, United States District Court, Southern District of New York.
*Kristi’s practice is limited to advising clients on U.S. law, and she is not admitted to practice as a solicitor in England and Wales.
- Advised insurer in Department of Financial Services’ inquiry regarding international licensing requirements.
- Represented national insurer in the District of Connecticut in a putative class action where plaintiffs alleged violations of the Connecticut Unfair Sales Practices Act (CUSPA), Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act (CUTPA), tortious interference with business expectancies and unjust enrichment.
- Represented global insurer in several state and federal cases in which insured plaintiffs alleged, among other things, a vast bid-rigging and price fixing conspiracy related to contingent commissions between various insurers and brokers in violation of state and federal antitrust laws.
- Counseled an internal investigation for for-profit education institution regarding New York Attorney General inquiry into post-graduate employment placement practices.
- Represented a leading energy services firm in major shareholder derivative matter, conducting internal review of practices relating to allegations of improper accounting, OFAC/export control violations, FCPA violations, kickbacks and government contracting abuses.
- New York
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 2006, cum laude
- Northwestern University, B.S., 2002
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York