Kara R. Gainer assists non-profit and for-profit clients with a wide variety of federal health care issues and public affairs strategies. She develops and executes comprehensive public policy strategies that integrate legislative, regulatory, and communications efforts. She has extensive experience working on health policy issues related to health care reform, Medicare, and Medicaid. In this position, she also builds and maintains positive working relationships with elected officials and federal agencies and leads outreach and coalition-building efforts to bolster support on public policy issues.
Advised Administrative Law Judges (ALJs) on interpretation of federal legislation and regulations and assisted them with Medicare appeals management including:
- Exhibiting and procedural/substantive review of Medicare claims appeals for comprehensive case analysis and recommendations on appropriate case disposition;
- Preparation of cases for hearing by providing complex legal research and analysis of statutes, regulations, case law, department appeals, policy, and Medicare program guidance; and
- Drafting of the ALJ’s Medicare appeal decisions following closure of the administrative record, identification of issues and providing advice relating to the policies and operations involved in the appeals adjudication process, providing professional legal advice on the Social Security Act, analyzing legal issues and communication results of analysis orally and in writing, using automated legal research tools and case processing systems, and responding to stakeholder and beneficiary inquiries.
- Provided legal advice and counsel to the Senate Sergeant at Arms in his capacity as an Officer of the Senate and as a Member of the U.S. Capitol Police Board; duties ranged from conducting legal research to drafting background memoranda;
- Developed and redrafted U.S. Capitol Police Traffic Regulations; and
- Provided support to the Senate Sergeant at Arms General Counsel in negotiating disputes arising out of the U.S. Government Car Rental Program.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary’s Award for Meritorious Service
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- District of Columbia
- University Of Montana School Of Law, J.D.
- University Of Montana, B.A.