Lawrence J. Fox counsels law firms on professional responsibility concerns, providing advice in capital habeas proceedings and handling complex litigation, including corporate governance matters.
Larry is a well-known author and lecturer on the professional responsibility of lawyers and law firms. He is the author/co-author of eight books and more than 100 articles, and has presented more than 350 continuing legal education programs. He has also testified as an expert witness on ethics many times and served as a court-appointed expert on three occasions.
In addition, Larry is the Crawford Lecturer at Yale Law School, where he teaches professional responsibility and is the founder and the supervising lawyer for the Ethics Bureau at Yale, a not-for-profit provider of pro bono professional-responsibility advice. Prior to teaching at Yale, Larry was a lecturer on law at Harvard Law School, and the I. Grant Irey, Jr. adjunct professor at Penn Law School.
Among his many professional and community service activities, Larry was a member of the ABA Commission on the Evaluation of the Rules of Professional Conduct (Ethics 2000), Chair of the ABA Post-Conviction Death Penalty Representation Project (1996-2003), Chair of the ABA Litigation Section and Chair of the ABA Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility.
The United States State Department sent Larry to Argentina (1997) and China (2002) as a specialist and speaker on the Role and Rights of Lawyers. Larry has made numerous television appearances on Nightline, Cross-Fire, the Today Show, Talk Back Live, Burden of Proof, CNN and MSNBC speaking on topics ranging from the Clinton impeachment to the death penalty.
Larry is the author of a long list of articles that have appeared in regional and national publications, covering a wide variety of subjects with particular emphasis on ethical issues.
He has also written many books on professional responsibility, including:
- Legal Tender: A Lawyer’s Guide to Professional Dilemmas, American Bar Association (1995); co-authored (with Susan R. Martyn).
- Traversing the Ethical Minefield: Problems, Law, and Professional Responsibility, Aspen (2d ed. 2008); Red Flags: A Lawyer’s Handbook on Legal Ethics, ALI-ABA (2005).
- Your Lawyer: A User’s Guide, Lexis Nexis (2006).
- How to Deal with Your Lawyer: Answers to Commonly Asked Questions, Oxford University Press – Oceana (2008).
- Red Flags: A Lawyer’s Handbook On Legal Ethics 2009 Supplement, American Law Institute (2009).
- The Ethics of Representing Organizations: Legal Fictions for Clients, Oxford University Press (2009); co-authored (with Susan R. Martyn and W. Bradley Wendell).
- The Law Governing Lawyers, National Rules, Standards, Statutes, and State Lawyer Codes, Aspen (2010-2011 ed.).
Larry edited and contributed to Raise the Bar: Real World Solutions for a Troubled Profession, ABA (2007); co-edited (with Susan R. Martyn and Andrew S. Polis) and contributed to A Century of Legal Ethics, ABA (2009). He has also written numerous book chapters relating to internal investigations, sanctions, expert witnesses and other topics.
Lifetime Achievement Award, Legal Intelligencer (2013)
Michael Franck Award, American Bar Association (2007)
Pro Bono Publico Award, American Bar Association (2005)
Wachovia Fidelity Award, Philadelphia Bar Association (2003)
Howard Lesnick Pro Bono Award – given annually by the Board of Managers of the University of Pennsylvania Law School Alumni Society
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New York
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1968, cum laude, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1965
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section, Chair (1995-1996)
- Commission on the Evaluation of the Rules of Professional Conduct (Ethics, 2000; 1997-2002)
- House of Delegates (1998-2001; 2002-Present)
- Legal Services Project (1997-Present)
- Post-Conviction Death Penalty Representation Project, Chair (1996-2003)
- Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility, Chair (1996-1997)
- American Law Institute (ALI) (1989-Present)
- ALI, Restatement of the Law Governing Lawyers, Special Adviser (1988-2002)
- Beth Zion – Beth Israel Synagogue, Board of Trustees (1988-Present)
- Connecticut Bar Foundation, Board Member (2011-Present
- CPR Alternatives, Board of Editors (1991-Present)
- Credit Suisse Asset Management Income Fund, Director (1988-Present)
- Credit Suisse Asset Management Strategic Global Income Fund (1988-Present)
- Dynasil Corporation of America (2011-Present)
- Friends Select School, Board of Trustees (1982-1992)
- Indonesia Fund (2000-Present)
- Philadelphia Bar Association Professional Responsibility Committee (1978-Present)
- The Chile Fund, Inc. (2006-Present)
- The First Israel Fund, Inc. (2006-Present)
- The Latin America Equity Fund, Inc. (2006-Present)
- University of Pennsylvania, Trustee (1992-1999)
- University of Pennsylvania School of Law, Board of Overseers (1992-1999)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, Annual Giving, National Chairman
- United Way, Board of Advisors
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary