Andrew P. Foster represents clients in complex civil lawsuits and business disputes. He has extensive commercial litigation experience involving disputes in environmental (contaminated sites, solid waste, water, air), contract, indemnity, real property, energy, capital assets, fraud, business tort and construction matters.
Andy has prosecuted and defended a wide variety of litigations for clients in manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, real estate, energy, private equity, logistics, transportation, printing, solid waste, chemicals, education, environmental consulting, retail and trade associations. Along the way, Andy has served as lead trial counsel in numerous jury and non-jury cases tried to verdict.
Andy has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Pennsylvania, teaching environmental law and policy in both The Wharton School and the Environmental Studies Master's Degree Program.
Andy has prosecuted and defended a wide variety of litigations for clients, and the subjects of his cases have been equally diverse:
Andy has particular experience in environmental litigation and counseling, including prosecuting and defending cost recovery and contribution actions under Superfund and counterpart state statutes, resolving disputes arising from solid waste and recycling services and defending against Clean Air Act and other permitting enforcement.
Andy has handled mold claims, administrative proceedings before the EPA and Pennsylvania's Environmental Hearing Board, remedy and performance litigation among owners, environmental consultants and contractors, and UST claims. He provides counseling with respect to a broad range of other environmental programs, including Pennsylvania Act 2 voluntary cleanups, the Clean Water Act and NPDES permitting, EPCRA compliance, stormwater regulations, internal environmental investigations and voluntary agency disclosures. Andy also advises clients on compliance with “green” advertising regulations under FIFRA and the FTC Green Guides and the investigation and structuring of environmental risks in connection with mergers and acquisitions, leases, purchases/sales of assets, and real property transactions.
Andy has represented clients in diverse pro bono matters, including:
- Prosecuting claims under the Pennsylvania Right-to-Know Law.
- Challenging a school district property tax assessment.
- Pursuing Section 1983 Civil Rights claims against prisons for inadequate medical care.
- Litigation involving the Pennsylvania Clean Vehicle Program.
- Defending an artist studio from zoning restrictions
Best Brief Award, McBaine Moot Court Honors Competition
Stephen Finney Jamison Award for Advocacy and Scholarship
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
‘Excellent litigator’ Andrew Foster has substantial experience in environmental disputes, including cases concerning waste, air, water and contaminated site matters. He acts for a broad range of clients, from chemical and solid waste businesses to pharmaceutical, private equity and real estate companies.Chambers USA (2017)
Andrew Foster evokes praise for his ‘effective advocacy and level of sophistication.’Chambers USA (2016)
- New York
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, J.D., 1986, Ecology Law Quarterly
- Yale University, B.A., 1981, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania