Ryan S. Fife has extensive experience with all aspects of civil litigation including factual investigations prior to filing suit, trials and appeals. He has been litigating for more than a decade and has handled a wide range of matters including breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, defamation, copyright infringement and securities fraud. He represents clients in a variety of sectors including entertainment, real estate, tech, aerospace and manufacturing.
Before attending law school, he volunteered as a teacher in Kingston, Jamaica, and served as the Norm Jones Human Rights Intern at The Carr Center for Human Rights at Harvard University.
- Obtained defense verdict and recovered attorneys’ fees following a two-week jury trial of a commercial lease dispute involving the national headquarters of a publicly traded company.
- Defended a global manufacturer and distributor of office products in an action alleging breach of contract and tort claims arising out of its termination of an international distributorship agreement with a Mexican distributor. Prevailed in motion to dismiss and reached favorable resolution of client's counterclaims.
- Obtained summary judgment for leading manufacturer of precast concrete and plastic products accused of misappropriation of trade secrets. Affirmed on appeal by the Ninth Circuit.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurance company against claims of bad faith. Affirmed on appeal by the Ninth Circuit.
- Defended television network in defamation action arising out of investigative news report concerning the Staples Center.
- Defended actress in breach of oral contract claim arising out of the termination of her former manager.
- Defended executive producer of a television series against claims that it misappropriated plaintiff’s idea for the series.
- Prosecuted misappropriation of trade secret claim on behalf of developer of music apps. Obtained court order requiring defendant to turn over its code to facilitate review and comparison of software.
- Obtained ex parte prejudgment writ of attachment against company for fraud and seized company’s bank accounts.
- Represented heirs of an estate in Belgium in a dispute over their ownership interest in a painting that had been the subject of a decade long international dispute in Europe. Successfully forced painting to be sold at auction and secured client’s share of the proceeds.
- Convinced plaintiff’s counsel to voluntarily dismiss a putative class action with prejudice against retailer with no payment from the client in a case involving the statutory prohibition of recording a telephone conversation without the consent of the caller.
- Obtained order compelling PAGA action to arbitration pursuant to a collective bargaining agreement, followed by a dismissal. Leveraged the order to negotiate a favorable settlement.
- Advise global manufacturer and distributor of office products regarding investigation by the California Department of Pesticide Regulation regarding the sale of antimicrobial products.
- Prosecuted securities fraud claims on behalf of investors against golf course developer and obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented and advised clients regarding Proposition 65.
Listed among Los Angeles Business Journal's "Leaders in Law," 2016Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Named to the Los Angeles Business Journal's 2016 "Leaders in Law," a list which recognizes leading attorneys within the Los Angeles Business Community.
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D., 2004, Interdisciplinary Law Journal
- Utah State University, B.A., 2001, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California