Elda Beylerian Feldman brings her clients over 20 years of law firm and in-house insurance, reinsurance, compliance, transactional and litigation experience. Elda services clients in the financial services industry, including admitted and non-admitted insurers, reinsurers, banks, investment firms, agents and brokers, pool managers and trade associations on a broad range of insurance regulatory, compliance and reinsurance matters.
Elda guides her clients on emerging issues affecting insurance and reinsurance companies, including regulatory compliance matters, regulatory investigations, surplus lines and reinsurance trust related matters, NY Free Trade Zone compliance, investment issues, captive laws, and licensing issues. Elda regularly advises on reinsurance transactions and reinsurance wordings, including providing non-consolidation opinions to address a party’s potential insolvency. She advises on the development of unique products and manuscript policies, program administrator and third party administrator agreements.
Elda has assisted her clients internationally obtaining regulatory approvals in connection with reinsurers’ expansion into Latin and South America, acquiring a Lloyd’s platform, establishing Bermuda based holding companies and creating a captive insurer in Barbados. Elda represents insurers and brokers before state insurance regulators in connection with resolution of regulatory compliance matters and investigations. Elda also provides support to a major bank and financial services organization in connection with anti-money laundering compliance. She has advised clients in connection with reinsurance arbitrations and has represented clients in connection with matters before the New York Workers’ Compensation Board. She frequently monitors federal and state insurance-related legislative and regulatory developments, and she regularly attends national meetings of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Elda was born and raised in Beirut, Lebanon and is fluent in French and Armenian. She previously served as the first Rule of Law liaison in Yerevan, Armenia for the American Bar Association Central and East European Law Initiative from 1996-1997, establishing their Rule of Law Office in Armenia. She has experience leading Drinker Biddle’s in-house Insurance Regulatory and Transactional Training Program.
- Assisting client in terminating New York surplus lines trusts in light of change in law to release millions of dollars held by financial institution.
- Assisting client in establishing a captive insurer in Barbados.
- Providing New Jersey non-consolidation opinions in connection with complex financing arrangements and reinsurance transactions.
- Providing U.S. and non-U.S. advice and obtaining regulatory approvals in multiple jurisdictions for a reinsurer’s expansion into Latin America.
- Assisting a startup in acquiring a Lloyd’s platform and establishing Bermuda based companies while on extended secondment.
- Providing advice to and obtaining nationwide regulatory approvals for several non-U.S. reinsurers maintaining multiple beneficiary reinsurance trusts (MBRTs) for the benefit of their U.S. cedents.
- Advising a global insurance broker on various regulatory matters and global projects, including drafting and negotiating carrier agreements and vendor contracts for the broker’s fast-growing health and benefits business during an extended secondment.
Carol Russ Memorial Prize, Rutgers University School of Law
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rutgers University School of Law - Newark, J.D., 1991
- Yale University, B.A., 1988, cum laude
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Armenian Bar Association
- Association of Professional Insurance Women (APIW)