Karen A. Denys offers her clients experience in construction contract drafting and litigation, real estate and land use litigation and general commercial litigation. She drafts and negotiates all forms of construction, architectural and engineering agreements (including agreements involving the design and construction of environmentally-sound green buildings) and counsels clients in project management and dispute avoidance while construction projects are ongoing. In addition, Karen litigates matters involving claims for breach of contract, construction defects, construction liens, and delay damages.
Karen litigates a substantial amount of real estate and land use disputes, including Mount Laurel (affordable housing) claims, disputes arising out of redevelopment and condemnation, and challenges under the National Historic Preservation Act. She litigates actions in lieu of prerogative writs challenging zoning laws and municipal approvals for real estate development. In addition, Karen represents developers in disputes over water and sewer rights. Karen has experience handling contract and other real estate-related disputes, including commercial landlord/tenant actions, title issues, and real property tax appeals.
Karen handles contract disputes and other general commercial claims for all types of businesses. Karen litigates contract disputes, fraud and consumer fraud claims, fraudulent transfer claims, shareholder disputes, and accountant professional liability claims. Karen assists her clients in contested foreclosures, lender liability litigation and other lender/creditor litigation, including replevin actions. In addition, Karen has handled numerous matters on appeal, including appeals to the New Jersey Appellate Division and the New Jersey Supreme Court.
American Bar Association Forum on Construction
Division 2 (Contract Documents)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rutgers University School of Law - Camden, J.D., 1997, with high honors, Rutgers Law Journal
- Rutgers University, B.A., 1993
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- American Bar Association
- Commission on Women in the Profession
- Condemnation, Zoning & Land Use Litigation Committee
- Forum on the Construction Industry – Division 2 (Contract Documents) and District 5 (Contract Negotiations, Performance & Administration)
- Mercer County Bar Association
- National Association of Women in Construction
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association