Tore Thomas DeBella is experienced in trademark clearance, portfolio management and enforcement, as well as information technology and data privacy/security strategy and compliance. Tore’s unique blended practice enables him to counsel clients on both the “brand” and “data” aspects of projects where these areas intersect, like online infringement, social media use and/or abuse, website policies and terms, keyword advertising, contests and sweepstakes, domain names and more.
Tore manages client portfolios through the entire brand “life cycle”—from selection and adoption of a brand through registration and enforcement. Tore has, on many occasions, handled cases before the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board and federal courts. For clients with international portfolios, Tore is accustomed to developing and executing comprehensive brand protection strategies, especially in problematic foreign markets where infringement is rampant. Tore also regularly develops and counsels clients on strategies for compliance with U.S. and international laws and regulations regarding the processing and cross-border transfer of personal data.
- Represented Native American petitioners before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and in federal district and appeals court in a landmark challenge to the “Redskins” trademark registrations owned by Washington professional football team.
- Represented a global musical instrument manufacturer in federal litigation regarding the shapes and names of iconic guitars sold by its predecessor and popularized by the Rolling Stones and other rock ‘n roll icons.
- Represented a well-known media company in its successful challenge to a third party’s registration of a mark for beauty salons similar to company’s flagship magazine name.
- Assisted a global consumer products company with its efforts to wrest from third parties various domain names corresponding to the company’s brands.
- Handled daily trademark matters, including numerous trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings, as well as routine legal review of sweepstakes and contest rules, for the largest retailer-owned supermarket cooperative in the United States.
- Spearheaded a multi-day in-person audit of the privacy practices of the US affiliate of a multinational pharmaceutical company as part of a comprehensive effort to develop the company’s global privacy program.
- District of Columbia
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2011, Journal of Law and Business Review, Virginia Journal of Law & Technology
- College of William & Mary, B.A., 2007
- University of Virginia School of Law, Extramural Moot Court (Past Chair)