John Dames represents clients in products liability and toxic tort litigation. He is the former head of the Products Liability and Mass Tort Practice group. John has had extensive experience in serving as lead counsel and trying cases in both federal and state courts around the country involving products as diverse as oral contraceptives, meat wrapping film, antihistamines, asbestos, latex gloves, over the counter pain medications, urea formaldehyde foam insulation, antibiotics, breast implants and chemical sterilants.
John has served as an adjunct professor at Northwestern University School of Law since 1998, co-teaching the complex litigation course with partner William Essig.
- Coordinating and trial counsel in actions involving oral contraceptives.
- National and trial counsel in cases alleging injuries from the use of polyvinyl chloride meat-wrapping film.
- National and trial counsel in cases claiming respiratory injuries from exposure to urea formaldehyde foam insulation (UFFI).
- National counsel to a large chemical manufacturer in actions involving claims of injuries following alleged exposure to ethylene oxide, a gas used by hospitals and medical supply manufacturers to sterilize medical devices.
- Trial counsel for a major manufacturer of asbestos-containing insulation products.
- Represented a major chemicals manufacturer in a variety of chemical exposure litigations involving carbaryl, PVC wire insulation and other chemicals.
- Counsel in “toxic fire” cases, including the MGM Grand litigation, the Younkers fire litigation in Iowa and the DuPont Plaza fire litigation in Puerto Rico.
- National counsel for a silicone manufacturer in silicone breast implants litigation.
- National and trial counsel on behalf of a manufacturer of natural rubber latex gloves in the latex glove allergy litigation.
- Lead and trial counsel in coordinated antibiotic tendon rupture litigation.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1971, cum laude, Loyola University of Chicago Law Journal
- Indiana University, M.A., 1968
- Washington University, B.A., 1966
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel