Charles B. Congdon represents clients in a wide range of corporate finance matters.
Charlie’s practice includes particular emphasis in governmental and tax-exempt finance, handling all facets of the issuance of bonds by state and local governments and their agencies and instrumentalities. These include general obligation and revenue bonds for state and local governments, bonds for energy and infrastructure development, qualified 501(c)(3) bonds for nonprofit institutions, including colleges and universities, hospitals and other health care institutions and other charitable institutions and exempt facility bonds. In addition to acting as bond counsel, Charlie represents issuers, underwriters and institutional bond purchasers, and conduit borrowers.
Charlie serves as the firm’s principal lawyer with respect to matters of tax compliance relating to the issuance of tax-exempt bonds. He has experience in all aspects of bond issuance and post-issuance compliance and has also worked extensively with the firm’s tribal governments practice with respect to taxable and tax-exempt financings for Indian tribal governments, including the issuance of high-yield Rule 144A offerings, direct institutional placements and tribal economic development bonds Over the years, Charlie’s practice has also included a wide range of corporate and financing transactions for nonprofit, health care and health care-related organizations. In particular, Charlie has represented health care institutions and systems in acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures. He is the author of Tribal Finance: Overview, a practice note published by the Practical Law Company.
- Has served as underwriters’ counsel for major national investment banks in connection with issuance by a nationally known university and affiliated quaternary academic medical center and integrated health system in connection with over $2 billion in new money and refunding bonds in the last seven years.
- Has acted as bond counsel and master indenture counsel in connection with nearly $700 million in tax-exempt and taxable multi-state debt financing transactions for one of the nation’s largest nonprofit operators of continuing care retirement communities.
- For nearly 10 years, has represented an Indian tribe in connection with financing and debt restructuring transactions in connection with gaming and resort facilities.
- Has acted as bond counsel and borrower’s counsel in connection with over 30 public and private tax-exempt debt financings for independent schools in Pennsylvania and other states.
- For over 20 years, has represented one of the nation’s largest and best known nonprofit national social service agencies in connection with a broad range of financing and related matters.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
Charlie "acts for a range of clients including issuers, underwriters and institutional bond purchasers. 'He has strong technical skills as well as a strong understanding of client business operations and management priorities,' a commentator notes."
– CHAMBERS USA (2016)
Charles Congdon is renowned for his strength in bond work and is a go-to attorney for tax-exempt finance and bond issuance by state and local governments. He has significant experience with bonds for healthcare and education institutions and for infrastructure development. One client comments: ‘He's very knowledgeable about the tax code provisions that are fundamental to understanding how to make the deals work, and very well-connected. Everyone knew him and understood they could work with him, which was very constructive, so we felt we had the right person sitting in that chair.’
– CHAMBERS USA (2017)
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 1984, magna cum laude, Villanova Law Review
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1979
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers