Michael Byrne* has extensive insurance transactional and regulatory experience. He advises U.S. and international re/insurers, investors, start-ups and producers on a broad range of matters including obtaining regulatory approvals for M&A, change of control and affiliate transactions, forming, licensing and structuring compliant business operations, drafting and negotiating agreements, and providing strategic advice on complex and cutting edge issues.
Mike is a leader in the excess and surplus lines and nonadmitted market, and serves on the NAPSLO Legislative Committee and as outside counsel to the New Jersey Surplus Lines Association. He was awarded NAPSLO’s Legislative Advocacy Award in 2013.
*Michael Byrne's practice is limited to advising clients on U.S. law, and he is not admitted to practice as a solicitor in England and Wales.
Some of Mike’s recent matters:
- U.S. and non-U.S. regulatory advice and approvals in the $2.2 billion acquisition of a global specialty insurer;
- Advising a start-up homeowners MGA in the InsurTech/connected home space on insurance regulatory, privacy, electronic transactions, FCRA and other issues;
- Counseling InsurTech, IoT and NextGen ventures in navigating the state insurance regulatory system;
- M&A involving insurance producers;
- Internal restructuring and redomestication of a large mutual insurer;
- Drafting and negotiating MGA/MGU, program and claims administration, and other producer agreements;
- U.S. and non-U.S. advice and approvals for re/insurers writing cross-border business in LatAm, Europe, Canada and Asia-Pacific;
- Advising on the NAIC and various state risk management, ORSA, group supervision, solvency and corporate governance initiatives;
- Regulatory issues and transactions in the health and benefits space, including in connection with state, federal and private exchanges;
- Transactions and regulatory advice related to private flood and travel insurance;
- Data security, cyber and privacy issues; and
- Issues arising from the implementation of the Dodd-Frank Act/NRRA.
NAPSLO Legislative Advocacy Award, 2012-2013
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rutgers University School of Law - Camden, J.D., cum laude
- Rutgers University, B.A.
- NAPSLO, Legislative Committee
- Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation, Northeast Division, Board of Directors
- Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation, Grants Committee
- Registered New Jersey Lobbyist