Jessica A. Burt assists and counsels public and private employers in all aspects of employment law, including performance management and compliance with the FMLA, ADA, FLSA and state specific employment laws. Jessica also defends employers in litigation matters, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, FMLA disputes, and wage and hour class actions.
Jessica joined the firm in 2012 and is a contributor to the firm's LaborSphere blog, which provides coverage and insights on breaking cases, recently enacted legislation and a broad range of employee benefits and labor issues. While at Seton Hall University of Law, Jessica acted as a research assistant to Professor Linda Fisher.
- Defends wage and hour cases brought under the FLSA and applicable state law for non-payment of overtime wages, including analysis of employee timekeeping and payroll records. She performs wage and hour audits on behalf of employers for compliance with the FLSA and applicable state law, including analysis of employee misclassification, overtime, and regular rate of pay issues.
- Defends single plaintiff discrimination, harassment, and whistleblower/retaliation cases.
- Updates and revises Employee Handbooks for compliance with recent NLRB guidance and current state and federal laws, including paid sick leave, gender equity, “Ban the Box” legislation, employee background checks and drug testing laws.
- Drafts and revises employee and executive offer letters, employment agreements, and non-disclosure and non-compete agreements. Jessica conducts employment-related due diligence in stock and asset purchase deals to identify potential workplace and workforce vulnerabilities.
- Participates in company investigations following internal employee complaints, including preparation of final reports with recommendations for resolution.
Graduate of The Brennan-Vanderbilt American Inn of CourtJuly 2015
- New Jersey
- New York
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2012, cum laude, Legislative Journal – Articles Editor
- William Paterson University, B.A., 2006
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- Society for Human Resource Management