C. Baird Brown works with customers and communities and their technology and finance partners to deploy a new generation of energy and sustainability infrastructure. He has helped develop pooled procurement and financing techniques for building energy efficiency improvements and renewable energy, and has structured public private partnerships for a broad array of infrastructure projects. He helped form and serves as counsel to the Microgrid Resources Coalition (MRC).
Baird handles mergers and acquisitions of energy and environmental companies, including restructuring and workouts of troubled projects. He counsels clients in connection with taxable and tax-exempt, rated and unrated, and registered and unregistered financings, credit enhancements, and leveraged leases. He also acts as underwriter’s counsel, bond counsel, and borrower’s counsel on complex project financings. He negotiates construction and operating agreements for energy and process facilities and assists with transactions in energy and environmental markets.
Baird served as an ABA Co-chair of a joint effort between the American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE) and the Environmental Markets Association to develop a model Master Renewable Energy Credit Purchase and Sale Agreement.
- JP Morgan Desalination
- Delaware SEU
- University of Missouri renewables
- PAISBOA SolarPrinceton Solar
- PPL Smart meters
- Good Energies
- Tractebel LNG Import Acquisition
- Ogden Projects/WTE
Baird led the deal team for the Poseidon Resource’s billion-dollar Carlsbad, Calif., desalination project which won Project Finance magazine’s “North American Water Deal of the Year 2012” honors and Bond Buyer’s “Far West Deal of the Year”
- District of Columbia
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources
- Energy and Carbon Trading and Finance Committee (Past Co-Chair)
- Renewable and Distributed Energy Resources Committee (Past Co-Chair)
- ALI-ABA Continuing Professional Education, Program Committee, Adviser
- International Bar Association, Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law, Power Law Committee (Past Co-Chair)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
Baird's Areas of Focus
- Education Energy and Environment
- Energy Customers
- Energy Policy, Regulations and Market Design
- Environment and Energy
- Nonprofit Governance and Exempt Organization Tax
- Strategic Transactions and Affiliations
- Brownfields Development
- Environmental Litigation
- Environmental Regulatory and Compliance
- Environmental Transactions