Joseph Barrera advises clients on patent portfolio development and global strategies. He investigates and reviews freedom-to-operate issues, prepares invalidity and non-infringement opinions, and works with clients to conduct due diligence on acquisition targets of third party patents. He has experience working with various chemical and materials-based technologies, including new chemical entities, pharmaceuticals, specialty and agricultural chemicals, advanced materials including OLED materials, semiconductors, hydrogels, inorganic catalysts, abrasives, coatings and adhesives, medical devices, and drug delivery. Joe also assists patent litigation teams to develop legal strategies against attacks of invalidity.
Prior to joining the firm, Joe was patent counsel at Bausch + Lomb with global responsibilities in the area of ophthalmic formulations, nutritionals, pharmaceuticals, optical materials, and surgical fluids. The patent portfolio in these areas protect key company products that account for more than 60 percent of annual earnings with less than 15 percent of the annual patent legal budget. Joe relies on the strategic use of patent appeals, competitor surveillance, and a focused continuation practice to develop such a portfolio.
- Provides counsel on third party patents issues.
- Worked closely with research scientists to develop and protect new products.
- Managed research relationships with university and other third parties in external technology developments.
- Led defense of U.S. patent in inter-parte reexamination, 95/000,301.
Awards Methodology (www.drinkerbiddle.com/content/awards)
- New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of New Mexico School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Dartmouth College, Ph.D., 1990
- Potsdam College, B.A., 1984